14

Chapter Fourteen: Just Want To Be Loved

Lydia and Natalie walked out of the diner with their aprons in their hands. "He's cute," Natalie said with a laugh. Lydia rolled her eyes in disgust.

"Mom, you're like forty," she groaned. Natalie scoffed and gave her daughter a look.

"I said he was cute, not that I want to have sex with him," Natalie said and pulled out her car keys.

"Okay, you need to stop," Lydia said with disapproval prominent in her voice.

It was dark out, and a slight breeze rolled over. Lydia guessed that it was around ten. They were about to get into Natalie's car when a jeep pulled up. "I've been waiting out here for you since eight thirty. Why do I feel like you stayed longer than you had too—"

Stiles, who had his arm out of the jeep's rolled down window, noticed Natalie and he gave her an embarrassed smile and waved. "Hello, Miss Martin."

Lydia stared at him with a faint smirk. Her shift ended at nine but she saw Stiles waiting for her. Of course she had to drive him crazy and stay another hour.

"Hello Deputy," Natalie greeted.

"I didn't know if you'd have a ride home or not so I thought I could drive you," Stiles explained, directing his gaze at Lydia. "But now I see that you do...so I'll be going now. Goodnight, Ladies."

"I was actually going to stop by the store and get some things," Natalie said quickly before he could drive away. "Lydia probably wants to get home as soon as possible." Lydia widened her eyes at her mother.

"Go with him," Natalie whispered, "He's cute." She gave Lydia a little push and she trudged forward. Stiles looked at the strawberry blonde.

"You don't have to if you don't want—" Natalie got into her car and drove off as soon as she could.

Nice parenting, Mom, Lydia thought.

"Well, it looks like I don't have a choice, Miles," Lydia said and Stiles smiled. He reached over and opened the door for her.

Once she was in, he looked over at her with the best annoyed look he could manage. "I can't believe you made me wait an hour and a half."

Lydia looked oblivious. "I didn't know you were waiting, I thought you left with your friends." She shrugged, thinking that would seal the deal.

"I saw you look me in the eyes multiple times," He said, "Stop acting innocent, Red." Lydia smiled and Stiles began to drive.

His phone beeped a few times and Lydia raised her eyebrows. When he reached a red light he looked around the car trying to find it.

"Do you want me to look for it?" She asked. Stiles shook his head.

"Can I see your phone?" He inquired. She nodded and handed it to him.

He typed his number into it and called his phone. The phone rang and Lydia found it under a bag of clothes. She gave it to him and Stiles quickly cleared his number off of the recently called list.

"Thanks," He said and handed her phone back, "Cuz now I have your number."