Twenty Eight

"Scout? Scout wake up." Harry shakes me awake.

"What?" I ask sitting up.

It's still dark outside. I can barely see his face as my eyes adjust to the lights. He is sitting cross legged on my bed looking back at me.

"I can't sleep."

"What time is it?" I ask.

"Like two." He says.

"You can't sleep?" I ask, sitting cross legged from him.

"Yeah."

I sigh, running my hands over my face.

"Come here." I say, inviting him to lay down next to me.

He does, laying across from me restlessly. From the bedside table I grab my bottle of pills.

"What are those?"

"Sleeping pills."

"You take sleeping pills?" He asks, confusion on his expression.

"Sometimes. I get nightmares."

"Really?"

"Yeah." I say. 

"Tell me about them." He props himself on one ellbow.

"They are worse in my head. They sound really stupid out loud."

"Vent. I'm listening."

"They aren't really...scary. It's basically just my parents telling me the reasons why they left me and most of them are about how annoying I am."

"Oh."

"Technically, not nightmares."

"They still count. And they aren't stupid." He says, pulling me to him. Even in the middle of the night he's still extra clingy.

I lay my head on his chest, and strokes my hair. We lay there until I can feel him drool in his sleep on my neck.

And everything, for a few moments, is frozen.

•.•.•.•.•.•.•

"Uh..." Harry's eyes widen.

"Pay attention please," The teacher answers. 

"Woops." He whispers next to me. 

He leans back in his chair, crossing his arms over his chest.  

Sunday was uneventful, Harry and I walked around town, getting sushi for lunch. It's Monday, and the teacher seems set with picking on me and Harry. 

"Scout? Can you name the organs responsible for the female reproductive system?"

"Um..." I say. Harry laughs next to me. "Pass?" 

"Harry and Scout, I'm asking for the last time for you both to please stop talking. I don't want to make a seating change."

Harry laughs next to me, fiddling with his expensive-looking watch. 

We have extra minutes after class, and one of Nialls friends, Ian, walks up to me. 

"Hey Scout what was the homework?" He asks.

I'm about to respond when Harry interrupts. "Go fucking figure it out for yourself." He proceeds to pull me to him, my body hitting against his. 

I mouth an apology to Ian, and he gives me a forgiving smile. 

"Harry! What was that?" I scold, letting go of his hand.