The Hospital Girl

Start from the beginning

Alec’s yellow eyes remained stoic as well as his face and he said nothing.

“Alec, you have to talk to me. Please tell me what happened,” Josh begged. He really needed to know what had happened so he can ask some questions for Alec’s sister when she awakes.

Alec shook his head and his snow-white hair fell across his eyes. Josh walked over to him and squatted down to his height and placed a hand on his shoulder. “Press that red nurse button when you’re ready to talk. Ok buddy?” Josh inquired. Alec nodded but said nothing. He didn’t want to reencounter the events from the past few hours.

“I’ll go now,” Josh announced. He turned around and saw Seth and Grace staring at Alec. Probably because they’ve both never seen a person with snow-white hair and glowing yellow eyes.

After Josh left Seth started talking. “Hi there Alec, I’m Seth. Were you part of the train crash?” he asked cautiously.

Alec slowly nodded, being careful to not activate the pain from his minor concussion. He remembers slight fragments of the train crash but not the whole lot. “How old are you?” Grace drawled.

Alec tucked his sister’s diary under his arm and held up nine fingers and Grace gasped. “You’re only nine? Oh sweetie pie you’ve gone through so much!” she exclaimed. Alec felt the tears pricking at his eyes but furiously blinked them away. He looked at the clock and saw that it was late. He went behind the curtain and saw his sister hooked up to all these different machines. The heart monitor beeped softly and Alec climbed into his sisters’ bed, clutched his sisters’ diary to his chest and closed his eyes and dreamt about the horrific crash.

“I still can’t believe we’re going to the Country Music Awards,” Amy whispered with her soft voice, excitement laced into her voice. Amy was Alec’s older sister and they both inherited their mum’s snow-white hair and their dad’s glowing yellow eyes. While Amy had her mum’s transparent skin Alec had his fathers bronze skin.

“Amy, you’ve been to one before. Why so excited now?” Antonia Cruz asked.

“Mum I’m going with Alec this time. I don’t have to be with Craig again,” she muttered. Craig was Amy’s boyfriend.

“I want some space mum,” Amy mumbled. Amy always spoke quietly and it was rare to hear her speak loudly. A person would only hear her voice loudly if she were singing with her eyes closed and into a microphone.

“Can we sing a song?” Alec piped up.

“Of course we can,” Andre Cruz, Amy’s dad, agreed. Antonia bent over and pulled out a guitar case. He unzipped the case and pulled out a wooden guitar. He placed the body on his lap and started strumming some chords.

“What song do you want to sing?” Andre asked.

“Can we sing Untitled by Simple Plan?!” Alec asked excitement evident in his voice.

“No way. That song is too depressing,” Amy murmured.

“I agree. Alec you shouldn’t be listening to music like that. You're too young,” Antonia chastised.

Alec rolled his yellow eyes. “What about Life Is A Highway?”

Amy smiled. “We always sing that song on long car trips.”

Andre grinned. “So it’s settled then. One verse each and the chorus together.”

Andre opened his mouth to sing but nothing came out, only the static voice of the captain.