Chapter 35: This whole time?

Chapter 35

-Katniss-

I walk into the bedroom after I put Rye to bed, he fell asleep on the way home in my arms.

Peeta is still in Willow's room, so I sit on the bed and take out my jewelry box. Peeta has seen it many times sure, like everyday, but he doesn't know that you can remove the top layer and there is space to hide things in it.

I have two thing here. The locket that Peeta gave me in our second Hunger Games, mother and Prim is still in it, but on the other side, I've put a picture of me and Peeta, we smile and our eyes lit of happiness.

The other thing is the pearl that Peeta gave me, also in our second Hunger Games.

These are my most important possessions. I always get tears in my eyes when I see them, when I hold them in my hands. But it's tears of happiness. I got them from my loving husband who I love infinitely and who I would do anything for.

I hold them in my hands and a tear falls down on my hand.

I start thinking about how it was before we went into the second arena. How mine and Peetas relationship was all a pretend. But all the time I think about it, I realize that I actually have loved my Peeta ever since the first arena, I just didn't realize that myself at that time. I hate myself for it, I hurt him so much.

Now I cry so much that I can't stop my tears.

"Katniss baby, what is it?" I hear Peeta asks when he comes into the room and sees me crying.

I try to put the locket and pearl away, but it's too late, Peeta has already seen that I have something in my hands. I shut my hands to hide what's there.

"Nothing, I ... I was just thinking bit", I say quietly.

Peeta sits down beside me. I keep my hands closed so he can't see what I keep in them.

"Katniss what's that? In your hands?" He asks softly.

"Nothing", I try.

"I thought that we don't keep secrets from each other", Peeta says.

I look up at Peeta, but that was a big mistake, because he has his puppy face on, that I can't resist. Damn you Peeta!

I sigh and open my hands so that Peeta can see what's there.

"Katniss..." Peeta whispers shocked. "Have you kept them this whole time?"

"Of course I have", I say.

"But ... But why?"

"The locket was a link to you, in fact it's yours, and the pearl ... It was your last gift to me before you were captured and ... and it was the only thing I had left of you. It comforted me when your warm body and strong arms couldn't, I was going insane by not knowing what they did to you and I couldn't ... I couldn't lose it, I just couldn't and ... And..."

I start to cry too much to continue talking.

Peeta wraps his arms around me while I put the locket and pearl back in the jewelry box again.

"I love you too much to not keep the pearl in a safe place, Peeta", I sobbed.

"Shh Katniss, I love you too, so much", he says, and I kiss him.

I push him down on the bed while continuing the kiss. It's so passionate and full of love that I never want it to end. And it doesn't. We continue kissing while we begin to undress each other.

I'm crazy about Peeta, and I never get enough of him, not ever, it doesn't matter how many years goes by.

Peeta rolls me over so that he ends up on top of, but I counter directly and roll him over so that I end up on top of him again, which causes him to start laughing and of course I start to laugh as well.