Chapter 4: Angry at Effie

Chapter 4

-Peeta-

"Katniss?"

"Katniss where are you?"

"Katniss?!"

Everyone runs around in Plutarch's residence, looking for Katniss who has disappeared.

"Katniss please, please come out", I shout out in despair while I'm running around like a headless chicken.

Finn is in decay.

"Katniss? Katniss?" He runs around and shouts out for his godmother.

Haymitch has begun to lose patience with Katniss, like he always does when she does something stupid. He stops around loudly looking for her.

I run up and down the stairs, which isn't just a few, in and out, into every room there is. I slow down and think. I'm missing something here. I try to think like her. Where would she go to be alone? Somewhere dark I think o ... I hear som grumbling. I listen but I don't hear it this time, I must have imagined. I look around and notice that I'm outside the only door I haven't bothered to go in. But wait just a minute ... a closet ... a dark place ... of course!

I open the door and there, right there under a lot of coats, Katniss is sitting in the dark boiling with rage.

I walk in, close the door and sit beside her under the coats.

"How are you? Having a bad day?"

It's the day before the wedding.

"It's nothing", Katniss says.

"Do you regret it ... I mean tomorrow?" I ask quietly, revealing one of my biggest fears.

Katniss touch the the switch and the lap turns on.

"What?" She says, looking into my eyes ... no wait, staring into my eyes.

"Do you?" I ask, staring back at her.

"Why would I do that?" Katniss asks.

I shrug and say nothing.

"Peeta Mellark, I would never change my mind, never", Katniss says and takes my right hand in her both. "Peeta I love you so much, I'm longing to be Katniss Mellark".

I smile at her and she smiles back.

"So what happened?" I ask and take Katniss hands between mine to warm them, her hands are so cold.

"Effie as usual", she says. "She drives me crazy, it's as if she feeds me before the Hunger Games again, and guess what, she takes the toasting really seriously, she wants the best one and the best looking toaster and she thinks about whether we should have glitter on it ... glitter Peeta!"

I laugh.

"But she's Effie after all", I say. "And besides it's our day tomorrow and only ours".

"Are you sure it's not Effies day?" Katniss asks bitterly.

"Positive, otherwise it would mean that I would marry Effie, Effie Katniss! And I'm not, I'm feeling marrying you", I reply. "But maybe she's trying so hard because it's us getting married, we mean a lot to her and she means a lot to us as well".

"Yeah your right", Katniss says.

Katniss leans forward to meet my lips but the door opens. Effie.

"Katniss, you have to come here, and you may not see Peeta until tomorrow at the altar".

At first it looks like Katniss is about to scream at Effie, but she say with dignity and calm voice:

"Okay Effie".