Chapter 14: Reunion of an old friend

Chapter 14

-Katniss-

How should I say it? How the hell shoud I say it?

Peeta and I haven't even mentioned the word 'baby' for over a month now, not said a single word about it, so how the hell do I tell him that I'm pregnant?

When I went to the doctor yesterday and Peeta was at the bakery, the doctor said that I had been pregnant for a month, which means I got pregnant the same night we came home from the Capitol. On that wonderful, wonderful night.

When the doctor told me I was pregnat, I was happy at first, Peeta and I would finally have a baby together. But I got scared, how do I tell Peeta something like that?

"Tell him about the baby like it's a part of your everyday life", my doctor said. "Try to sneak the news into a normal conversation".

How the hell do I do that?

My doctor promised not to tell anyone that I'd visited him. I had to put on a blanket over my head and pretend to be a very ill person so no one would recognize me on the way there or home. I don't want the reporters to know before Peeta, I want Peeta to be the first to know, he's after all the father of our baby. Or the doctor was the first to know, because it's his job, besides he is sworn to secrecy.

I'm sitting in the sofa in the living room, waiting for Peeta to come home from the bakery. I have to tell him today. I have to!

I'm wrapped in a thick and warm blanket, staring right on the wall for two hours before I hear the front door open. I turn my head and see Peeta enter the house.

"Hey honey", he says with a smile. He sees how I'm wrapped in the blanket and get a worried face. "Are you ill sweetie?"

"No Peeta, I'm fine", I say, but my voice sounds husky, so I can see that he doesn't believe me. But I'm not ill. So I mean that was the truth, I'm not lying.

He sits in the sofa next to me.

"Katniss don't lie to me", Peeta says seriously. "I can see it's something".

"Peeta I'm not sick", I insist.

He studies me closely for a few minutes before he decides to believe me.

"Okay, what is it than?"

This is it, the moment I tell him, and he has no idea about the bomb I'm about to drop over him right now.

"I..." I start but gets interrupted by the doorbell.

"Wait a second Katniss", he says and walks to open.

I grit my teeth because we got interrupted in something very important. If it's Haymitch, I swear I'm going to kill him for this.

I hear Peeta talk to someone. A man. Damn you Haymitch!

I get up and walk to the hall, still wrapped in the blanket.

"Haymitch you always choose the worst time to..." I growl but interrupt myself when I see who Peeta is standing in front of the in the doorway.

Gale.

I drop the blanket to the floor walk up to stand behind Peeta, standing on my tiptoe and look at Gale behind Peeta's shoulder. As if I was scared of Gale or something. But I'm not, just annoyed.

"Hey Catnip", Gale says smiling.

"Gale I'm married", I snap.

Gale just laughs.

"So am I", he says, showing his left hand that has a gold ring on the ring finger. "I just told Peeta when you came, he wouldn't let me in the house, in fact I'm happily married, so don't worry".