Chapter 8: The proposal story

Chapter 8

-Peeta-

I just want the party to end so Katniss and I can be by ourselves. But the party goes on for several hours and everyone seems to have fun.

"Finn go and play with Cassidy", Annie says to a nagging Finn.

There aren't many kids at the party.

"But she's a girl", Finn complains.

Cassidy shoots lightning with her eyes at Finn, clearly that she feels offended.

"Finn!" Annie says warning. "Run along, go on, and take Cassidy with you, and be nice!"

"Yeah yeah", Finn sighs and take Cassidy's arm and pulls her away.

"I can walk by myself thank you very much", Cassidy sputters to Finn and pulls away from his grip.

She sticks her nose in the air and walk away from him. Finn looks like he wants to yell at her, but he just follows her and doesn't leave her.

Annie sighs.

"I really don't know what's up with him nowadays", she says.

"Oh well", our old friend Beetee says, sitting in his wheelchair. "If he's anything like Finnick, he'll appreciate pure beauty soon enough".

"Yeah he'll fall head over heels for that young lady", Haymitch chuckles.

Pollux raises and eyebrow and get an expression on his face that says he'll not allow it to happen.

I understand him, I do, I mean Cassidy is his little girl after all.

"Oh Pollux, Cassidy will soon grow up, just you wait", Felice says an takes Pollux hand in hers.

Pollux shakes his head as if he forbids Cassidy from growing up.

Everyone laughs.

"But it's not a bad thing to appreciate beauty", I say.

"No, you've never had a problem with that Peeta", Plutarch agrees merrily. "And look where it has brought you today".

Katniss blushes but looks a bit grumpy.

"On you it sounds like Peeta is the only one who can appreciate things, you know I had to be here or he couldn't get married and I chose to be here", Katniss says insulted. "And I chose to be here because I love him and appreciate him and not just becasue he's nice, very good looking and can bake and paint, no truth to say I appreciate everything Peeta is".

Everyone looks intently at Katniss. Everyone knows how serious she is, me too, you can easily tell when she's lying and telling the truth.

I take Katniss hand hand holds it tightly.

"But Katniss, how did Peeta propose to you?" Plutarch asking curiously.

I freeze. I look at Katniss and she smiles.

Everyone within earshot turns their heads curiously towards us and soon the whole party stops. And I suddenly become very aware of the cameras.

"Okay", Katniss says eventually. "Story time".

*A year earlier*

-Katniss-

"Peeta!" I shout as if I have a problem.

I really shouldn't do that because whatever Peeta's holding he just drops when I shout like that.

"Peeta!"

KRASH ... BOOM ... KRASH, the next second Peeta's standing in the doorway to our bedroom.

"Katniss what is it? What happened? Are you hurt?" He asks anxiously and enters the room.