Chapter 31: Oh no!

Chapter 31

-Cassidy-

I step out of bed and walk up to my closet.

I take out a sky blue crop top with a pair of tight shorts. It's really warm outside. It's the beginning of May.

I'm changing from my night clothes to my everyday clothes and put on my makeup. I don't have much makeup though, no, just a bit, enough to make my eyes look a bit bigger. I let my long hair fall over my shoulders. A lot of people in the district is still very poor, I don't want to make them feel bad by showing off all of my things, just because the president is my uncle and my dad is best friends with aunt Katniss and uncle Peeta.

I take my school bag and heaves it over my shoulder and walk out of my bedroom.

I have this same routine every school day, and there shouldn't be any difference. But it is really different. Because now when I enter the kitchen my dad isn't there to cook breakfast and give me his big and loving smile, that I love so much.

This Saturday he went with Herman to the Capitol. We don't know how long he'll be gone, but it feels really weird to walk through the house and not hear Dad in the kitchen, or hear him sit and tweaking, or to go into the living room and he's not sitting there in his armchair smiling at me, taking me in his arms and put me in his lap and kissing my head and cheeks.

And in addition, my Mom is completely restless. She hates being away from Dad, she always want to see him everyday, it makes her feel good, she wants him to come home, she doesn't care if he can or can't talk, she never has, she loves him no matter, and so do I.

But my Dad really wanted to do the operation, so we let him go to the Capitol.

"Good morning sweetie", Mom says.

She sits at the kitchen island and reading the newspaper with a cup of coffee and constantly shaking her leg. She always does that when she's nervous.

"Mom, if you really feel this bad about being away from Dad so long, just go up to the Capitol, you can do that you know", I say when I see the black rings under Mom's eyes, showing that she hasn't slept anything. That explains the coffee, she doesn't drink coffee otherwise.

"But honey I can't leave you here alone", Mom says looking down at the newspaper again.

I'm sixteen years old dear mother. I'm not a child, but I know that she doesn't want to leave me alone here in the district, and especially not my Dad.

"Maybe I can live with Aunt Annie and Finn", I say.

Mom raises one eyebrow and smiles.

"Ah of course you would want that Cassidy", she says.

I roll my eyes. Sure, I can admit that it would be nice to stay under the same roof as Finn for a few days, but I offer myself beacuse I want to make Mom happy by letting her go and see Dad without worrying about me.

"Okay, I'm talking to Annie today, but you really need to go now, otherwise you'll be late", Mom says smiling.

I get up and just when I'm going out of the kitchen Mom says; "Cassidy..." I turn around. "Thank you".

"You're welcome, I love you Mom", I say and walk out of the kitchen.

When I get out of the house, I see Finn ahead in the same direction that I need to go to.

But he hasn't seen me yet, so I sneak up behind him and tickle him.

Finn screams, jumps and turns around to see what it was. Now imagine his surprise when he sees me stand there and grin.