Chapter 17: Happiness

Chapter 17

-Peeta-

Now Katniss is in the fourth month of the pregnancy. And today we're going to find out the gender of our baby. Apparently you can do that with a certain machine. We've never had anything like that here in the district before.

Katniss is about to freak out, she's so worried. But of what I really don't understand, I mean it can only be a boy or a girl.

"Katniss please, come here and sit down before we go", I say to her when she for the fourth time this morning wipe the dining table, which is not even dirty.

Katniss sighs, leave the table and sits down beside me. I wrap my arms around her and pull her close to me.

"Why are you so worried honey?" I ask.

"What if it's something wrong with our baby?" She says.

"No Katniss, nothing is wrong, we have done everything the doctor told us to do", I say.

"Yeah you're right", she sighs.

Before we go, Katniss puts on a coat that hides the baby bump on the stomach. No one knows that she's pregnant but us and our friends and so it shall remain until we feel that we're ready to tell. We might even keep the birth a secret for a while, but that is going to be really difficult. Haymitch says that it's possible if we really want to, but we decide that when we get closer to that time in five months.

"Hello, we have an appointment at 12 p.m., our doctor is Dr. Daniel Andersen", I whisper to the receptionist when we arrive to the hospital.

"Mr. and Mrs Mellark?" He says, but we know that he knows who we are. Everyone does.

We nod.

"You know where his room is, he's waiting, so just go right in", he says with a smile.

We nod and walk to our doctor's room.

"Katniss! Peeta!" Daniel says cheerfully when we come into the room. "How are you today?"

Daniel has been our doctor from the very beginning. Katniss likes him, and I do too. He won't be present during the birth though, but Mendal will, our midwife, he is also good and we like him too.

"Great, we're great", I say.

"Excited to find out the gender today?" Mendal asks while he fix Katniss on the bed.

"Yeah, can we be something else?" Katniss smiles.

"No I really don't think so", Mendal laughs. "Have you thought any more about if you should start to tell people about the pregnancy?"

They know that we're having a baby of course, and the receptionist as well, he always sits there when we come for some reason, but they are the only three outsiders who knows.

"Yeah but we're not ready yet", I say and stand beside the bed.

"The important thing is that you two feel comfortable, that's most important, especially with your guys backround", Daniel says.

Well that't true.

Daniel pours some blue jell on Katniss stomach.

"Oh that's cold", she giggles.

"Everyone says that", Daniel laughs.

And so we hear the sound of our baby's heartbeat. Oh that's music to my ears. Our baby!

I can't even believe this? Before the rebellion we could never know the gender of the baby, we couldn't really keep track of the baby. The woman just gave birth when it was time.

I take Katniss hand and holds it tightly. I look her into her eyes and smile before I kiss her perfect lips.

"Well everything looks perfect with the baby, so ready to know the gender? 'Cause I do", Daniel says, looking at us.

We nod.

"Alright, you're expecting..." he says fretful slow. "Mendal drum roll..."

Mendal starts drumming.

"A baby ... girl!"

A baby girl? A girl? We're having a daughter!

"A girl?" Katniss asks.

"Yeah", Daniel reply with a big smile.

"We're having a daughter", I laugh happily and kiss Katniss again.

Daniel wipe away the gel from Katniss belly and I carry her up and spin her around.

"So we're going to meet again in a few months before the birth", Daniel says before we walk out of the room.

"Okay bye", Katniss says cheerfully before I close the door.

We start walking back to the Victor's Village.

"Who should we tell first?" I ask.

"Haymitch", Katniss says.

I think that sounds good so we direct our steps towards Haymitch house.

But to our surprise, everyone else are there.

"We knew you'd come here first, but we all wanted to be together when you tell", Julie says and embraces Katniss.

Katniss and Julie have strangely become best friends. They do almost everything together these days, which gives me time to hang out with Gale, and I must say that we have become really good friends.

When we are all seated in Haymitch living room everyone are tense.

"Well?" Gale is the first one to break the silence.

"We're expecting a baby girl", I say.

"Is it true?" Cassidy shouts happily. "A girl? YEY a girl!"

Everyone are happy about the girl, and everyone wants the time to go faster so we all can meet her.

Katniss and I more than anyone else. Oh I really want to meet our daughter.

Cassidy walks up to Katniss and put her both hands on her belly.

"There's a baby in there, a baby girl and I ... WOAH", she screams and pull off her hands with a frightened expression.

Finn gives her a cold look as he fell down from his chair when she screamed like that.

But Katniss also looks scared.

What happened?" I ask.

"The baby ... she kicked for the first time", Katniss whispers and turns to Cassidy and smiles. "The baby must really like her little Auntie Cassidy".

Cassidy smiles big.

I put my hand on her belly and feel a kick right away.

Our baby.

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Okay that was another, I hope you guys liked it.

And as always I really want to know that you thought,

so please tell me by vote and comment ;)

-Josephine 💋