Chapter 69: Finally Home

The next morning, Danielle shows up around noon, walking in with Gracie. She smiles at him and crawls onto the bed with him.

          "Hey Gracie," he hugs her, kissing her head.

          "Where's Mackenzie?" Gracie asks. "Momma says she can come home now."

          "They took her to give her one last checkup, and she'll be back."

          "I'm happy you're okay Uncle Liam."

          "Me too Gracie, me too," Liam looks at Danielle.

         The nurse bringing Mackenzie in, she automatically reaches for her dad. "Hey sweetheart."

          "Daddy," she wraps her arms around Liam's neck, Mackenzie saying daddy for the first time.

         "Did you hear that?" Liam smiles.

          "Yeah L, I heard. She knows you. She fought for you."

          "Let's go home, Danielle."

          "Greatest thing I've heard in a while," she smiles as they leave, Liam holding Mackenzie, Danielle pushing the wheelchair. They get down to the lobby, and they see Eric standing there, screaming into his phone.

          Getting back to Liam's place, Liam sitting on the couch with his sister, his niece, and daughter on the floor. "Damn I'm hurting," he laughs.

          "Mhm, I figured. Tough guy doesn't act so tough at home," she smiles, handing him his pills and a bottle of water.

          "Thank you for bringing us home," he says to his sister, leaning over and kissing her temple.

          "Gotta protect my baby bother sometimes."

          "Sometimes," he winks. "Keyword."

          "You don't always have to act like the big brother," she nudges. "Come on Gracie. We should let them get some sleep."

          "No you guys are fine. She's not going to sleep anytime soon."

          "You hungry?" Danielle asks.

           "Macaronnnni," Gracie giggles.

          "Yeah," Liam smiles. "You guys can stay if you want."

         "I'm only staying because I know you're going to call her," she points to her brother.

          "I can't if I don't have her number. I deleted it remember?"  

         "Uh huh," Danielle rolls her eyes. "How much you love her, it's burned into your head," Danielle gets up and goes to the kitchen.

          "Who do you love?" Gracie asks.

          "You and mommy and Mackenzie."

          "We love you too Uncle Liam."