Chapter 29: Father Unknown

"Yeah?" Sloane picks up the phone, right before the last ring.

          "Hey, it's me," Hope says. Sloane hearing machines and people in the background.

          "Hey, what's up? Is it your lunch already?" Sloane pulls the phone away and looks at the clock before replacing it against her ear.

          "No, I was just calling you to let you know your side boy is here."

          "What? What for? Is he okay?" Sloane immediately questions. "I mean, why?"

          "Well, you didn't exactly tell me I don't think that he was going to be a dad? Then again, you might have. My brain has been working overtime here lately."

          Sloane sighs. "I thought I told you. Yeah, she's due anytime now I guess."

          "She's in labor right now."

          "Oh, she is? She's a little early."

          "Yeah and the kids not even here yet and she's making it tough for him," she hears Hope sigh. "She's not letting him into the room."

          "Liam mentioned that, and even his friend Javier mentioned she was a bit crazy. Can you just keep him informed as much as you can, please?"

          "Sloane she's a bitch. Nobody is in that room with her. It's just herself. She's lying to him."

          "I'm sure she is lying to him, but I'm not getting involved with that. It's their life and their decision. If that's what she wants, she's the mother. She has that say. Just keep him informed okay? And don't let her do anything with that baby without him knowing."

          "I am, but it's wrong what she is doing," Hope reiterates.

          "I know that, but I'm not his girlfriend or his anything. Let them handle it on their own." 

          Tough love is administered. "You know, I love you, but at one point, he was all you talked about."

          "That's not true, and you know it. I'm not the bad guy Hope. They'll figure it out. I have to go. I'll text you," Sloane replies before tapping "end."

          Nervousness overtakes him, and so does anxiousness. Liam's eyes are plastered to the TV mounted on the far waiting room wall, watching the basketball game that is taking place. Duke and Villanova, Villanova up by four in the final minutes of the game. As the crowd gets anxious to the slow ending of the basketball game, Liam becomes anxious as time passes to meet his child.

          Hope returns. "Nothing yet," she smiles, sitting down beside him. "Are you sure you want to be here?"

          Liam fakes a smile. "Not for her, but the baby."

          "Well, maybe you should call someone then? Or have them sit with you? She could be in there for a while."

          "I'm okay," Liam nods, looking back at the TV.

          "First kid?" she asks, even though she knows the answer.

          Liam nods again.

          "Well, I'm normally not supposed to say anything like this, but I'm sorry you're going through all this. Having a baby is supposed to be a joyous time, and you're missing that because she wants to be a prude."

         Liam is a little shocked but appreciates the uplifting gesture. "Thanks," he looks down at her nametag, "Hope."

          She nods, patting his shoulder. "Let me know if you need anything."

         Once Hope leaves, Liam pulls out his phone. He thumbs through till he gets to contacts and hovering over Sloane's name. He stares. He stares for what seems like an eternity only to exit out and select Javier's name. Hoping he will answer.

          "What's up boss?" Javier answers on the fourth ring. "I heard crazy is in labor?"

         "Yeah, she is," Liam confirms, leaning his elbows on the tops of his knees.

          "Well, congrats under the circumstances. You're gonna be a pops. How's Natasha feel about you being there and involved?"

         "Yeah, well about that. I'm not allowed in there so, same shit different day."

          "Man, that's rough. Still thinking about going for full custody?"

          "I don't think I could win bro. Do you really think I might have a shot?"

          "Of course. You aren't crazy. You've never done drugs in your life, that I know of," Javier chuckles. "You have a steady income, a home, and I'm sure if you ask Miss. Twenty-one, she can help."

          "Why in the hell would I ask Sloane for help?"

          "I don't know, maybe because her dad is a huge lawyer and not to point out the obvious even though I told you to stay away, but you love her and want her to break up with Eric to be with you."

          "Do you not remember what happened the last time her dad and I were in the same room together? He's not going to help me."

           Javier sighs. "I love ya man, I do, but sometimes you are so stupid," he says bluntly. "She grew up with him. I'm sure she knows a ton about law just by living with him."

          Liam looks up, seeing Hope come around the corner. "Hey man, I'm going to go. I'll text you," he says, hanging up before giving Javier a chance to say a syllable.

          "You have a little girl," she smiles, then her expression changing. "She wants to put her up for adoption."

          "What?" Liam's eyes becoming wide. "No. There is no way in hell that's happening. That's my baby too," Liam says, panic-stricken.           

          A look of sadness overtakes Hope's face. "I'm so, sorry. She put the father as unknown."

         "Can't I get a DNA test or something?"

          "The only way that would be allowed is if she agrees. But, if she refuses, the child would go into the system, and you will have to fight other people for her."

          Liam's fist collides with the table, it rattles. Hope jumps at the sudden bang.  "What the hell!" Liam calls in frustration.

          "Liam," she slides a hand on his shoulder, "I'm so, sorry."          

          In one swift motion, Liam stands and walks briskly to Natasha's room. His blood is boiling at this point. 

          Hope follows. "Liam, what are you doing?"

          He tunes her out. He sees her room and her name written beside the heavy door. He pushes through.

          "Get out!" Natasha shrieks.

          "Where is she?" Liam demands, his eyes scanning the room for his daughter. 

          "I told them I don't want you in here. Get out!" she yells once more.          

          Liam turns, pleading with Hope. "Where is she, please?"

          "Liam, I can't," she answers with sadness in her eyes.

          "I need a DNA test."

         "She has to request it."

          Liam looks down in defeat, closing his eyes and trying to figure out everything that he can do to make the situation right. He takes one final look at the vile woman who he made a child with and walks out, never once looking back.