Chapter 62: Birthday Party

The next day rolls around, and it's Mackenzie's first birthday party. Liam can't believe it. Javier and his girlfriend arrive about thirty minutes before the party, helping finishing decorating. People show up left and right, along with Danielle and Liam's niece and nephew. Thankful for the beautiful weather, the party guests alternating between the inside and outside of the house, a lot of family and friends swoon over Mackenzie. A lot of people meeting her for the first time.

           The last of the people head out. The only ones sitting in Liam's backyard are Javier, his girlfriend, Danielle, and her kids, Liam, and the birthday girl. His daughter sitting in his lap, Gunner getting up and looking at the house. He begins to whine and bark.

           "What is it bud?" Liam asks, Gunner whining more. Liam stands, handing Mackenzie to Mandy. He follows Gunner into the house, Gunner scratching at the patio door and his tail wagging excitedly. Opening the door and Gunner running into the house, Liam follows.

          His heart stops at the person standing in his living room. There stands Sloane, seven months pregnant in a sundress, sandals, her hair twisted down into a braid over her shoulder. Sloane sets a present down on the table as Gunner runs over, placing his paws on her pregnant belly. Gunner barks as she scratches his head.

           "Hi sweetheart," Sloane smiles at the dog.

          "Gunner, be careful," Liam walks over, grabbing his collar and pulling the hyper K-9 off. Gunner growls.

          "It's okay. He won't break me," Sloane says.

          "Go find Mackenzie," Liam commands. Gunner takes off running out the patio door.

          "Hi," Sloane looks at him.

          "What are you doing here?"

           "I brought her a present," she points to the box on the table.

          "Thanks. Eric know you're here?"

           "No," she shakes her head.

            "Um, how are you feeling?"

           "I'm good. I feel alright. How have you been?"

           "I'm okay. You okay?"

          "Mhm," Sloane says quietly.

          "Do you want something to drink? Or something? I can go get Mac."

          "No, no it's okay. I just wanted to drop the present off."

          "Hey Liam where's," Danielle walks in. "Oh hi," she smiles, carrying Mackenzie.

          "Hi," Sloane says quietly. "Hi princess."

          Mackenzie smiles at Sloane but immediately reaching for her dad. Danielle and Sloane look at each other and then back to Liam.

          "Umm, Danielle this is Sloane. Sloane this is my sister Danielle."

          "Hi," Sloane looks at her, holding out her hand. "I've heard a lot about you."

          "Same," Danielle smiles.

          "I should get going," Sloane says, turning to walk away.

          "Mama," Mackenzie reaches for Sloane.

          "She's been saying that every time she sees your picture," Liam says.