Chapter 44: Meeting The Lawyer

They pull up to the single floor building, getting out and walking inside, greeted by the lawyer.

          "Hi, I'm Liam Pearson," he shakes his hand.

           "Pat Johnson," he smiles, looking over at Sloane.

          Sloane looks at him, going to shake his hand. He says her name before she can. "Sloane Hawkins. I used to work for your father," he smiles. "Come on in," he nods, walking to his office.

          "Thank you so much for taking this over," Liam thanks him.

          "Not a problem. You have a high chance of winning."

          "Really? That makes me feel so much better."

           "Good job, stable household," he says looking at Sloane. "Someone to help you," he smiles. "I contacted the hospital and the adoption agency, and there is a rumor spreading that the little girl might not be put up for adoption."

           "So Natasha wants to keep her?" Liam asks.

           "I'm not sure. There have been a lot of different things mentioned—her keeping the baby, the baby going to live with relatives."

           "I need to get her man."

          "Do you want to fight her for full custody? Because if she doesn't go up for adoption, that's about all you can do. In most cases, mothers always get custody, especially of a baby."

          "Yeah, I do want to fight for it. I know Natasha. She's not a fit mother."

          "Problem is, even mothers who seem unfit are mothers. Ninety percent of cases rule in their favor."

           "Well I'm gonna fight, and if I don't win, at least I tried."

          "Even if we get you shared custody, five years down the road you could end up with full custody."

          "Thank you. Um, I don't know if you can help me with this, but I haven't seen my daughter ever."

           "I can try. I don't know if it will happen."

          "What's your best advice?"

          "All I can do is request it," he smiles.

          "Okay," Liam nods. "I just want to meet her. I want to be her father and be in her life. I don't think that's too much to ask."

          "It's not, but other people don't feel the same."

          "Okay," Liam says again.

          They finish up about an hour and a half later. "Feel better?" Sloane asks as they walk out.

          "Yeah a little but still a little bummed."

          "It will work out."

          "Do you know that guy?" Liam asks.

          "He used to work for my dad."

           "Okay," he nods. "Are you hungry?"

          "Starving," Sloane smiles.