Chapter 49: Caught Off Guard

Liam pulls up close to ten minutes later, seeing Sloane sitting on a bench and holding a textbook with a notebook tucked into it. He notes the glasses she is wearing for once, also the skinny jeans that are hugging her thighs, a tank top with a cardigan over it and her hair down in curls.

          "Hey," Liam walks up.

          "Hey," she stands up. "Any ideas what he wants to talk about?"

          "I have no idea. I haven't seen him since Natasha got arrested."

         "Oh okay. Ready?"

          "Yes ma'am," Liam nods, opening the door for her.

          They both walk in, greeted by Liam's lawyer.

          "So what did you want to talk about?" Liam asks.

          "A couple of things."

          "So I'm assuming you heard that Natasha got arrested?"

          "I heard she was taken into custody. No charges have been laid against her yet."

          "Wow really?" Liam surprised. "She was drunk off her ass, and their house was disgusting. My daughter was malnourished and dehydrated when we took her to the hospital."

           "I told you," the lawyer sighs, "fighting against the mother is a hard thing to do. She doesn't want to give her up."

          "The court needs to see she's unfit. She leaves her child with a cracked-out boyfriend to go get drunk or high. She's only doing this to get to me," Liam says raising his voice, feeling Sloane's hand slide on his knee.

          "That can never the in court," his lawyer sighs, ruffling through a few papers. "It's clear to see that she doesn't want anything to do with you, and she's not fighting against you for child support or anything. Which means, she has a way to support herself and the little girl which the court sees as important."

           "Then I don't see the point paying you the big bucks if I don't have a chance," Liam says sternly.

           "I told you from the beginning you have a chance. It's just not a large one if you want full custody of her. The best thing would be to fight for either joint custody or visitation. Hold her to those standards and if she breaks those rules, call her out on it."

          "I'm just saying, man. My daughter deserves to be with me in a good home."

          "Yes, she does. Would you rather not see her at all or see her and know she's fine?"

          "The court can't get the records from the hospital showing that my daughter was dehydrated and malnourished? She's not fine where she's at."

          "I can't get any paperwork dealing with her because I am your lawyer and you aren't on any of her paperwork," Liam's lawyer states. Sloane getting up and stepping out.

          "That's bullshit and you know it. Get a court order for it," Liam demands.

         "I told you from the start this wouldn't be easy. I told you that you might not get what you wanted."

           "Then the court system and justice system is messed up," Liam shrugs.

          He laughs. "Yes, it is."

         About fifteen minutes later, Sloane's dad comes walking in without knocking and walks right up to Liam's lawyer.

          "You lying son of a bitch," Mitch Hawkins says. "Get out," he says to Liam.

          Liam is frozen and confused by the surprise visitor.

          Mitch points at Liam. "Get your ass out of here, now."

          Doing as he is told, Liam stands up, walking out of the office and seeing Sloane. "What the hell is going on?" he asks her.

           "I called dad. That guy doesn't know what he's talking about." 

          "How could you tell?" Liam smiles. 

          "That's why my dad fired him. He's not very good."

           "I'm not paying him," Liam shakes his head, sitting down. Sloane sits down too as Liam slides his hand on Sloane's leg leaning over and kissing her temple. He then feels Sloane turn his face, kissing him deeply. 

          Mitch clears his throat.

          "Sir," Liam nods standing up.

           "I read your case. I will tell you straight forward if you win it's going to be a long bumpy road. If you want to do it, you can," Mitch says.

           "You're going to be my lawyer?" Liam asks in disbelief.

           "I'm not going to argue a case that you aren't all the way into."

           "But Sloane said you didn't do family law."

           "I don't, but I love my daughter. Do you want to fight it or not?"

           "Of course," Liam nods, holding out his hand. "Thank you, sir."

          Mitch nods, shaking Liam's hand and kissing his daughter goodbye before walking out.

           "Come on," Sloane smiles, patting Liam's chest, both walking out onto the sidewalk. "Are you going to work?"

          "Depends," he smiles.

           "On?" running her fingers through her hair.

           "Do you have to go to class?"

          "No. I'm done for the day. I was going home. I have to work later."

          "Do you mind a guest?"'

          "No not at all," she smiles.

          They arrive at Sloane's place, kicking off her shoes and dropping her books on the table.

           "What time do you work?" Liam asks.

           "Seven till four."

          "I might come and get a beer or two or check out this hot bartender."

          "Yeah?" Sloane smiles.

          "Yeah, you know the bartender that I think I'm falling for. She's pretty great."

          "Oh yeah? Ashley is really pretty," Sloane smirks.

          "You think she'll be surprised to see me?" Liam smirks.

          "Probably. She has a boyfriend."

          "Yeah," Liam smiles. "But you do too."

           "Oh yeah?"

          "Yep," Liam winks.

          "Hmm, I didn't know that. Maybe he should inform me."