Chapter 65: Chat With Danielle

"Liam, Liam," he hears, opening his eyes to see Sloane's roommate Hope.

          "Hey," he says softly.

          "Come," Hope commands quietly, pulling a wheelchair next to his bed and helping him in. She then wheels him out and to the elevator. "Do not tell anyone about this," she says as they head out of the elevator and into the NICU. Hope gives him a mask and gown and puts him next to an incubator. "Five minutes," she smiles, putting the brakes on and walking out.

        He looks at her and then to Mackenzie swallowing hard, holding her little hand with his two fingers. The little girl's face, arms, and legs are all scratched up, thankfully nothing is broken as she's wearing a diaper and hooked up to at least ten wires and tubes. He cherishes the five minutes he has with her as Hope shows back up on the dot.

          "Come on, let's get you back," she smiles, wheeling him back and helping him into the bed.

          "Thank you, Hope."

          "You're welcome," she smiles walking out.

          A few minutes later there is a knock on the door frame. Sloane.

          "Hi."

          "What are you doing here?"

          She walks in, pulling a chair next to his bed. "Hope texted me. I'm sorry about Mackenzie."

          "They don't think she's going to make it," his lips quivering.

          "They don't know her. They don't know who her dad is," sliding her hand on his arm. She looks down his body. "What happened?" she asks quietly.

           "We were going home from Danielle's, and this person ran a red light full speed and t-boned my side. They pushed us into a post. I guess my truck was almost ripped in half. The person never stopped."

          "I'm so sorry."

          "Thanks for coming but you don't have to stay if you don't want to."

          "You know I'd come," she smiles, resting her hand on her stomach.

          "Are you feeling okay?"

          "Mhm. Active baby."

          Liam reaches over and slides his hand on her stomach, feeling the kicks multiple times. He never experienced anything like that when Natasha was pregnant with Mackenzie.

           "All day and night," she smiles, Liam dozing off.

          Danielle walks in. "Oh hi," she says. "Do you mind if I join you? How long has he been asleep?"

          "Not even two minutes."

          "Mackenzie isn't looking too good."

          "I heard. My friend is a nurse here."

           "He's going to be devastated."

           "I know. She's everything to him."

          Danielle nods, awkward silence fills the room.

          "I know you don't think I'm a good person or deserve to be with him," Sloane says.

          "I just don't want my brother to get hurt again. His last girlfriend broke his heart."

           "I know. He told me."

          "He likes you, Sloane. He loves you actually."

          "I know."

          "Sloane, I'm gonna ask you something and tell me if it's too forward."

          Sloane looks at her.

          "Whose baby is it?"

           "I don't know."

          "Does your husband know that?"

          "No," Sloane says quietly. "He doesn't know how intimate we were."

          Danielle nods.