Chapter 24: Not Expecting

Eric and Sloane talk while they eat their dinner along with Eric's parents, now just sipping champagne, enjoying a little bit of dessert. Sloane sees Eric stand up and hit his glass with a spoon.

          "Oh god no," Sloane mumbles to herself, her hand resting over her mouth, so no one sees.

          "If I can have everyone's attention," Eric looks around. "Tonight is a very special night. I have been with this gorgeous woman sitting in front of me for three years. She's the absolute love of my life," Eric declares, reaching into his pocket and getting down on one knee. "Sloane Hawkins, I love you so much. You make me the happiest guy in the world. I'm asking you in front of my family and all these people if you would marry me and be Mrs. Madsen?" Eric asks, opening the box, a huge diamond ring.

          "Oh my god," Sloane says quietly.

          His parents watch, waiting for Sloane to answer, his mom practically crying. "Will you marry me?" Eric asks again.

          Sloane looks once more and not saying anything, her head moving up and down since it's an instant reaction. Eric smiles, sliding the ring on her finger and pressing his lips to hers. Everyone in the restaurant claps.

          "I love you, babe," he says, hugging her.

          "Mhm," she smiles, leaning into him and looking at the ring. "Shit," she thinks to herself.

          They sit back down, Eric's mom instantly striking up a conversation with Sloane—already beginning the wedding talk.

          After dinner, they get back to Eric's house, he insisting she stays, they walk in. He walks up to Sloane standing in the living room doorway, sliding his hands on her shoulders and rubbing them, kissing her neck.

         Sloane stiffens.

           "Come on babe," Eric smiles, moving the strap off her shoulder and then moving to unzip the back of her dress.

          "Eric stop," Sloane sighs, stepping forward.

          "What?"

          "I'm tired. It's been a long day."

          "Okay," Eric sighs. "Are you okay?"

         "Fine. Just tired. It's been a long day," she replies.

          "Okay, um, you wanna head to bed?"

          "Yeah," she nods.

           "I'll meet you up there."