Chapter 17: Wingman

It's Saturday, forgetting all about brunch that she was supposed to go to with Eric and his parents. Sloane goes to work at three since she has the early shift at the bar, going in and setting everything up, opening the doors at four.

          At around six, Javier walks in and orders a beer, sitting at the bar.

          "Hey," she smiles, putting the beer in front of him. "Ordering any food?" she asks, leaning against the back of the bar a bit, wearing jeans, cowboy boots, and a t-shirt with the bar logo on it.

          "Nah, probably not right now. Thanks though."

          "Where's your partner in crime?"

          "Who knows. I only see him at work now. He's been over at his sister's more for reasons I don't know, and I don't know if you heard this, but he's a dad now or will be a dad. Some girl is pregnant," Javier says.

          "Oh yeah? A dad huh? Who's the mom?"

           "Evidently some girl he hooked up with a couple of times like months ago. She's insane."

          "Insane?"

          "Oh yeah," he nods. "The last time he slept with her I guess he told her that he was done and stuff and she called him every day, texted him all the time. She once followed him to a movie that he was at with another girl and in the parking lot she started hitting the girl because the girl was dating her quote boyfriend."

          "Wow, definitely a bit crazy. You never see him?"

          "Not outside of work."

          "I'm sure he's fine," she winks, beginning to walk away.

         "You know he really likes you, Sloane," Javier calls out.

          "Hey," she walks back over, "don't say shit like that in here."

          "Okay, you can't tell me you don't feel the same way. He's only been sleeping with you."

          "I haven't seen or talked to him in almost a month. You just said you have no idea what he's doing so you can't make that claim."

          "I can actually because he hasn't. He hasn't slept with another girl for a long time. Just you..."

          "Go home Javier," she says softly.

          About an hour or so later Eric walks in. "Hey," she smiles, leaning up and kissing his cheek.

          "What the hell is he doing here?" Eric asks, seeing Javier.

          "Having a drink like everyone else here," she pats his chest, guiding him and his friends to a booth away from the bar. "How was your day baby?"

          "It was good. Um, did you forget about brunch with my mom and dad today?"

          Sloane stops. "Oh, god. I'm so sorry. I completely spaced."

          "It's okay. Can you do it tomorrow? They really want to see you."

          "I work tomorrow," Sloane smiles. "I'll call them."

         "Okay. Dinner tonight after you get off work?"

          "I can't babe, I'm working all night," Sloane says kissing his lips sweetly.