Chapter 66: Questions

Opening his eyes a few hours later, Liam sees Sloane sitting in the uncomfortable hospital chair, flipping through a magazine.

          "You're still here?"

          "Mhm. Did you want me to go?"

          "I was just surprised. I'm surprised Eric hasn't asked you to come home yet."

          "He texted me."

           "Did you tell him where you were?"

           "He didn't ask."

           "Would you tell him?"

          "Yes," Sloane nods. "Of course I would."

           "Yeah because he'd be happy about that," Liam smirks.

          "That doesn't matter."

           "Okay."

           "What does it matter what he thinks? You've never cared before."

          "Because you're married to him."

          "Yeah and I was engaged to him before, and you still did whatever you wanted."

           "You still pursued me. You still slept with me. You walked out on him at your first wedding to come and have sex with me."

          Sloane bites her bottom lip to keep it from quivering, trying not to cry. "Yeah? And I'd do it again."

          "Then why did you marry him, Sloane?"

          "Because I love him," she says quietly.

          "You love me though too don't you?"

           "Would I be here right now if I didn't?"

          Before Liam says anything, the nurse walks in to check on him. "How's Mackenzie?"

          "No change. She's still fighting," the nurse smiles.

          "Okay."

          "I should go," Sloane smiles.

           Liam grabs her hand. "Stay here."

          "Are you sure?"

          "Yes."

          Sloane nods sitting back down, the nurse finishing her check over Liam before heading out. She slides her hand on her stomach, wincing a little, Liam notices.

           "You okay?" Liam asks.

           "Mhm," she manages. She grabs her side. "Ah."

          "Miss are you okay?" the nurse asks Sloane.

          Sloane nods.

          "Honey how far along are you?"

          "Eight and a half months."

          "Honey you may be getting ready to have a baby."

           "What no. Not yet," Sloane says quickly.

           "Well relax and take some deep breaths and let me know if you need anything. Tell that boy to hit the nurse button if something doesn't feel right," the nurse tells Sloane, walking out.

           Within a few minutes, Sloane cries out loudly, hunched over. Liam hits the button.

          "What's wrong honey?" the nurse comes back in.

          Sloane can't even talk, she cries. A few nurses come in helping her on a roller bed, and they take her away.

          "Is she going to be okay?" Liam asks.

          "Of course sweetie," she nods walking out.

          Laying in the bed, remote in hand, Liam flips through the channels, the nurse coming back four hours later. He mutes the TV.

          "What's going on?" he asks.    

           "Well," the nurse says walking over and checking him, "your friend had a beautiful baby girl."

          "How's my baby girl?" Liam asks.

          "No change."

           "Can you take me down to see the baby?" he asks.

          The nurse nods, pulling a wheelchair in for him, and helps him into it. She wheels him down to the nursery and pointing at a tiny baby in the middle, wrapped in a big pink blanket.

           "Can I go see Sloane?"

          The nurse smiles and wheels him down to Sloane's room.

          "Congrats Sloane. She's beautiful."

          "Thank you," she smiles. "Thank you for coming."

          Eric emerges from the bathroom, automatically tensing when he sees Liam. "It's fine," Sloane says to Eric.

          "Liam," Eric says, sitting down on the bed beside Sloane. 

           "Eric," Liam nods, swallowing hard.

          "I'm sorry about your daughter."

          "Thanks," he nods. "Are you feeling okay?" Liam looks over at Sloane.

          "Mhm, just tired."

          "What's her name?"

          "Harper."

           "I like it," Liam smiles.

          "Good."

          "Just let me know if you need anything okay?"

           Sloane nods as Eric shifts and kisses her head. "I have to get to work. I have a case."

          "How's Mackenzie?" Sloane asks as Eric walks out.

          "Still the same."

          "I'm so sorry Liam."

           "She's not looking too good to make it."

           "She's tough like her dad," Sloane says seeing a tear run down his cheek. "She loves you. She's going to fight her hardest, and you love her. You guys will be together."

           "I should probably get back to my room in case they have more info on Mackenzie."

          Sloane nods.

          "Congrats Sloane," Liam says softly.