Chapter 89- Too Late

The warm blankets felt like a safe haven. My legs were hugged up to my chest and Daryl was safely secured around me. I tried to sleep but my mind continued to replay the evening in my mind.

All I could see was Ryan's crumpled body, lifeless, pale, dead...

It sent shivers down my spine, I felt so lost. The weird thing, was that I didn't even love Ryan, I barely liked him.

But when I ended his life, something broke inside me. Maybe I did love Ryan, I just didn't know it. No, how could I. After everything he's done to me.

Daryl shuffled behind me, bringing me closer to him. He snored lightly in my ear and it made me want to laugh at how easy he can sleep through anything.

A piece of a memory, flipped through my brain. I could almost remember, I was so close, it was just out of reach.

My eyes flashed open and I sat up, come on almost there. I smiled ear to ear as I remembered my first night sharing a tent with Daryl.

I laid back down and replayed the memory in my head. I tried to remember that time, it couldn't have been that long ago though.

At least I remembered something else from my past now, if only I could get the rest.

I pondered my thoughts, trying to place the memory back into its timeline. I didn't even notice it was morning until the sunlight shun through the window.

I got up from the bed and shoved Daryl. He groaned and put his face in the pillow. I chuckled softly and walked to the main area of the prison. Lori and Carl sat at a table, some food in front of them.

"Good morning." I said quietly as I sat down with them.

"Oh Mariah, how are you feeling?" Lori asked softly.

I looked at Carl and gave a reassuring smile. "Never better." I lied, Carl passed me a can with some kind of food inside.

"Thank you." I said, looking down at the unknown food in the can. It was dark brown with lumps, even though my stomach growled, I passed the food back.

Carl shrugged and shoved the food into his mouth, it took all I had to not gage as some of the black mixture dripped down Carls chin.

T-Dog and Rick walked in a moment later, both out of breath. I was about to question them but Glenn stopped me before I could.

"Rick wants us all in the Prison yard, Lori he wants you to help Hershel out." Glenn said quickly.

"With what?" Lori asked.

"With the stairs, Hershel's been having trouble lately." Glenn said quickly, before glancing around the room.

"Where's Daryl?" T-Dog asked, copying Glenn's movements.

"Sleeping." I mumbled, I stood up and walked to the perch.

"DARYL, GET DOWN HERE." I yelled into the room. Daryl grumbled some curses before rolling out of bed.

"Rick's having a meeting, hurry up." I said. I walked back to Glenn and T-Dog.

"He'll be out in a sec." I muttered. "come on, everyones outside besides Beth, Hershel and Lori." T-Dog said.

I nodded and we left for outside. A cold breeze blew by and I shivered in my tank top.

Tayler noticed my shivering and handed me a black leather jacket. "Whats this?" I asked, slipping the jacket on.

"Its your jacket." Tayler said, before biting down on her lip.

"What did they um do with the body?" I stuttered.

Tayler nodded her head towards the field. "There." She said. Daryl stepped outside and Rick called him over.

Two prisoners, the waxed mustache man and a large african-american man stood in the distance and Rick went to investigate with Daryl.

They bickered for a moment then the prisoners headed back to their cell block. After only a few minutes of waiting for the rest of the group Daryl, Rick, and Glenn were out wandering, looking for more things to do while we waited.

The Prison door opened and I smiled when I saw Hershel hobbling outside with Beth and Lori.

"Looking good Hershel!" I called out. Jason chuckled from beside me and Tayler went to help Hershel out.

It felt like a warm moment, Rick had smiled at Lori and that filled me with hope. Rick and Lori needed to be with each other, if not for each other but for the baby and Carl.

A loud scream from behind me made me cringe and snap out of my thoughts. I whirled around to see tons of walkers filling into the prison yard.

"DARYL!" I screamed, trying to call him over here. Jason handed me a shot gun and I fumbled around with the trigger for a moment.

Jason plugged away at the walkers and I finally figured out how to shoot the stupid gun.

I aimed at the closest one to me and hit it in the shoulder. "Dammit!" I yelled as I reloaded the gun.

"TAYLER! GO!" Jason screamed. I looked to see everyone fleeing the yard, only me and Jason remained in the courtyard.

Tayler was in some kind of cage with Hershel and Beth. Relief passed me as I realized she was safe.

"Move!" Jason yelled pushing me towards a random door that lead into the Prison.

We ran to the door then bolted inside. We shut it quickly and I scanned the hallway we had entered. It was dim, with no threats. We definitely have never been to this part of the Prison. Jason pulled me along the dark hallway. We passed through several more just like it and finally found a short hallway with a small door. We opened the door and entered into a large room, several walkers lurking in the dim light.

"Come on!" Jason yelled bringing me forwards. I gulped and aimed at a walker.

I took a shot and hit it in the chest. I groaned and took another shot. This time it hit just below the neck.

I reloaded and aimed again I breathed out as I went to pull the trigger?. "MARIAH!" Jason screamed and pushed me backwards to the floor.

I fell hard, landing on the cold concrete floor. A walker had just reached where I was standing and Jason didn't have time.

"JAY LOOK OUT!" I screamed, but it was to late.