Chapter 22- Buzz-Kill

Laughter filled my ears as I shoveled more food into my mouth. It's been so long since I've had a proper meal.

It tasted so good, at first I tried to be civilized but I gave up after a while, pilling food onto my fork and dumping it into my mouth.

Every once in a while I'd have a bit of wine. I never really liked wine, it's too bitter and I didn't really enjoy it. But tonight I would.

I finished off the alcohol in my wine glass, and quickly reached for the bottle, and I poured the beverage into my glass. I was almost half way when the bottle was torn from my hands. "HEY!" I shouted.

I turned around and glared at the person that stole my wine. Daryl leaned against the counter, chugging a bottle of wine, my bottle of wine.

I quickly tore it out of his hands and topped off the rest of my glass. I handed back the near empty bottle and Daryl looked like he was ready to strangle me. I chuckled and reached across the table to grab another bottle. I thrusted it into Daryl's hands and he chugged it back greedily.

"You even old enough to drink?" Shane questioned me from across the table.

I took another sip of wine, looking at him from over top of my glass. "This ain't my first rodeo partner." I mocked.

Shane gave me a dirty look. "Keep drinkin' Glenn, I wanna see how red your face gets." Daryl smirked at Glenn from behind me.

Glenn just laughed and drank more wine, looks like everyone was getting drunk tonight, even Carl had a bit wine.

"I don't think we've properly thanked our host." Rick said suddenly, standing up and holding his glass in the air.

"To Jenner!" He toasted. I laughed and joined in on the toast. After everyone was sitting back down, Shane took the opportunity.

"No offence Doc, but we didn't come here for the wine. We came here for answers." Shane commented.

I gave him a dirty look, but Shane kept pressing on. "Where is everyone?" He asked Jenner loudly.

"Well, when things started to get bad everyone left to be with their families, or some chose to... opt out."

I frowned and shoved another fork full of food into my mouth. "Where's the other doctors though? What about the person you were talking to.. Vi?" Lori questioned.

Jenner looked down at his plate. "Vi, say Hi to our guests, tell our guests... Welcome."

An electronic feminine voice boomed through the room. "Hello Guests, welcome."

Jenner shrugged "I'm all that's left." Silence surrounded the room as people continued to eat, but not speak.

"Buzz-kill." Glenn muttered under his breath.

"Tell me about it." I said a little louder than Glenn's comment, so Shane would hear me.

Jenner stood up from the table. "Shall we go to our rooms?" Jenner asked. Everyone stood up, their meals finished or not, and started to follow Jenner.

We got back into the elevator, this time stinking of booze. The elevator went down to the bottom, and the doors opened. We started walking down a long hallway, the roof rather shallow and the walls kinda narrow.

"Are we underground?" Carol asked cautiously.

"Do you have claustrophobia?" Jenner asked.

She nodded and rubbed her arms. "A little." She said quietly.

"Try not to think about it." Jenner mumbled back.

Carol nodded and I rubbed her arm for her this time. "Alright, there should be cots in every room and go easy on the hot water. Oh and theres a recreational room at the end of the hallway that you kids might enjoy. Just don't plug in any video games."

With that Jenner took off quickly down the hallway. "Did he say hot water?!" Glenn exclaimed happily