Chapter 16- A Different Side

I sprinted into camp, all of us splitting up and panicking as we looked for our loved ones or fought off the dead. "TAYLOR! JASON!" I screamed over the groans of the biters.

Gun shots were going off all around me, making it difficult to even search for Jason and Taylor and the chaos.

"MARIAH!" I heard Taylor shout over the craziness. I ran to the source of her voice. As I spotted her in the crowd, her ear piercing scream rang out.

A walker had her pinned against a tree and held her hand to it's face. Two of her fingers were already gone, leaving a bloody mess. The walker just continued chewing her hand while she screamed out in agony.

My heart stopped and broke into a billion pieces. I pulled my knife out to stab the walker, letting it fall to the ground with a thunk.

I watched her slide down slowly against the tree, and I went to her side. I took her bitten hand and examined it. She didn't look good, the hand was badly scratched up.

"Taylor, I'm getting you out of this alive." I murmured, thinking about how to get her through this.

She shook her head back and fourth reluctantly, but I ignored her. I reached for the woodcutters axe to my left and held her arm down. The fingers were too damaged to even function, and I had to make sure that the infection wouldn't spread.

I needed to take her hand. I took one deep breath and brought the axe down on her hand.

She screamed out in pain and tried to push me away. "NO!" I heard Jason yell from behind me. He was fighting walkers off, keeping them away from us.

I brought the axe down again. She cried out and clutched my other arm, sinking her nails into my skin. I brought it down again, and her hand was almost off, one more hack.

I lifted the axe, paused for a moment then dragged it down. The hand separated from her arm she whimpered, nursing her bloody stump.

"You're going to pass out from blood loss, I need your belt." I whispered and slipped her belt off her waist. I tied it up on her forearm and quickly applied a towel, that was laying near by.

Jason came down and knelt beside her. "You're going to be okay Taylor, just don't close your eyes."

She kept crying holding her arm close, ignoring both of us as she gazed into the distance.

I stood up and began to scavenge around for more towels or rags, anything to stop the bleeding. All I had found was an old, dirty towel. I shook my head and kept looking, the wound can't get infected, that's the last thing we need. I looked around for a moment, dead bodies littered the ground, all of them were unknown corpses, I didn't see any of our people dead, but then I heard the cries.

All the cries were feminine, one I recognized in particular since I've heard it before. I walked over towards the main part of camp and laid a hand on Carol's shuttering back. She turned around and stood up, Sophia clinging to her side. I looked past her to see a bitten Ed on the ground, dead.

I brought Carol into a hug and she cried into my shoulder softly. "It's okay Carol, he's in a better place." I soothed.

I really hated Ed. He was an inconsiderate douche bag, but Carol loved him. She needed to be comforted. I wasn't great with that kinda stuff, but I know thats the bullshit I'd want to hear if it was vise versa.

She wiped away a stray tear and I stepped away from her, towards the RV. "I'll be back in a minute, alright?"

She nodded and squeezed my shoulder gently. I pursed my lips and looked at the RV, hoping there would be clean towels inside. I walked over and looked to see Amy laying on the ground.