Chapter 13- Feed Him Nails

"NO! NO! NO!" Daryl screamed, pacing back in fourth. The poor guy looked as if he was going to break into tears.

I bent down and surveyed the mess. Blood covered the ground, a bloody hacksaw lying in the dried up blood.

That's when I noticed it. A trail of blood lead away from the mess. I followed the trail to the edge of the roof and assumed that Merle had gotten away. I looked behind me to see Daryl putting Merle's hand in Glenn's backpack, Glenn clearly looked like he was going to vomit.

T-Dog picked up a box of tools and threw them into his bag. Rick was following after me, his face pale and concerned.

"We can track him," I said pointing to the blood on the ground. "It won't be hard."

Rick nodded and shouted at the guys to come over. "Let's go." I said pointing to the blood. Daryl froze before he brushed past me, taking the lead.

We followed the trail for a bit, Daryl rushing to find any source of his brother besides the dried blood trail.

Eventually we came to an abandoned department store floor. Dead walkers littered the floor, and it smelt like rotting flesh like the rest of the city. "Lost his hand and still killed these bitches." Daryl muttered to himself.

I looked at Daryl and he pointed his crossbow ahead. Two walkers stood, one in front of the other. Daryl stepped forward but I put my arm out in front of him, making him look at me with confusion. "I got this."

He shrugged and motioned for me to go ahead. I stepped forward and knocked on a metal chair. The walkers noticed us instantly. They ran forwards, right into my first sword, piercing through both their torsos.

I swung my second sword and sliced their heads off in one motion. I quickly slipped my sword out of the walker bodies and let them fall. I twirled both my swords before I stabbed the heads in sync, both of them dying instantly. Daryl hit my back lightly and stepped forward. He aimed his crossbow at a loan walker at the front of the room.

"You're an ugly skank, aren't ya?" He growled. He aimed and was about to shoot her when I quickly tossed my italian knife across the room, hitting the walker between the eyes with a satisfying thunk.

Daryl turned around and stared at me, I took a small bow and yanked the knife from the body. I looked behind to see Rick with a eyebrow raised, Glenn with his jaw dropped and T-Dog smiling like an idiot.

"Women can do everything you guys can." I snorted. With that, Daryl took the lead and continued forwards. I walked behind Daryl, we kept going through rooms after rooms. Daryl shot any walker seen before I could even get a chance to move. After a while I just tucked my swords away, finding no use to hold them in my hands.

Eventually we wandered into a kitchen, probably for some restaurant. The burners were all going at full blast with chunks of charred flesh scattered around it.

Daryl smirked and looked down at the stove. "Tough son of a bitch ma brother is, he tried to cauterize his stump. Feed 'em a hammer, he'd shit out nails."

I looked down at the mess, hardly believing that a man could possibly do that to himself, even if it was to survive.

"No matter how tough he is, any man could pass out from blood loss." Rick said, clearly annoyed that Merle had tried to do this all on his own.

"Um guys?" T-Dog shouted from the other side of the room. We walked over to see a shattered window, blood sticky around the edges of the jagged glass.

Daryl sighed. "Let's go." He headed for the window, but Rick stopped him. "No, we need to get those guns."

Daryl narrowed his eyes and stepped towards Rick. "My brother's gonna pass out somewhere and you want me to find some stupid guns?!"

T-Dog tried to help Rick, obviously feeling the need to assist. "Rick's right, I ain't roaming these streets anymore with just my good intentions."

Daryl scowled and looked at me, probably hoping I'd side with him. I just kept a straight face and stared right back at him, waiting for him to look away. "Look after we get the guns we can look around the streets for a bit, but we can't go too far." Rick said, breaking Daryl's focus.

Daryl sighed but nodded, understanding the urgency for the weapons. He pushed past Rick and stood in the back of the pack, behind me.

"Let's go." Glenn said pushing past everyone to the exit. Rick and T-Dog followed after him and I shrugged, trailing behind the trio.