Chapter 38- Safe Haven

I jumped down from the small tree, thankfully I landed on my feet. I checked my leg out.

Most of the small bruises were starting to fade some of the cuts were starting to scab over. The big gash was horrible though, I would need to get it restitched at this point. It felt fine when I walked on it besides a dull pain.

I walked sort of normally, I had a small limp but at least I could walk. I wandered around for about a hour, nothing seeming familiar.

Then I saw it. A tree me and my old friend Maggie Greene carved into. It had our names and the word bff's in it.

I laughed and remember the day we made Maggie's step brother carve our names into that tree. We promised him chocolate if he would, we broke our promise and we hid from him in Maggie's barn. We stayed up there all day, for fear her brother would throw us in the lake. He never found us though. That became my favorite place to hang out with Maggie.

I giggled at the memory. Now let's hope I can remember how to get back to Maggie's house.

I walked for five minutes and came out of the bush. The Grenne farm sat happily on the small hill, cattle grazing in the field.

Were they alive? Were they untouched by the apocalypse? I walked steadily towards the house.

I had moved away from Maggie's family when my mom died. My dad always said that the memories of my mother would always haunt him in that house. I thought he was wrong, I loved my mother and never wanted to forget her. I got up near the house when I felt something nudge my back.

"Who the hell are you?" A deep voice yelled from behind. "I'm Mariah Beckon, Maggie's friend." I said defensively.

"HERSHEL!" The voice screamed from behind me. Hershel, Maggie's father walked out onto the porch.

Maggie and her little sister Beth behind him. "MARIAH!" Maggie shouted and ran towards me.

I smiled and embraced her. "I'm so happy you're alive." I muttered into her shoulder. I pulled away to look at the rest of her family.

Hershel smiled down at me, his hair showing his age. "It's good to see you again, Mariah." Hershel said calmly.

I nodded and smiled at them. "I'm so glad you're all okay." I exclaimed.

"How did you get here?" Beth asked excitedly.

"It's a long story." I said quietly. I was waiting for them to question me about Jason and Tayler when I realized something. They've never met Tayler and Jason. I met them after we moved to my other house.

"Can we talk inside?" I asked quietly, not wanting to be out in the open. Hershel nodded and gently ushered me inside.

I sat down on the couch and everyone swarmed around me. "Well, see I'm with this camp. I was trying to save a little girl so I lead some walkers away. I got lost and ended up here."

Silence came after I spoke. "Is their anyone you love in that group?" Beth asked politely. I nodded and looked at Hershel.

"My boyfriend, sister, brother and well everyone else. I love them all." I said quietly.

Maggie gave me a look of confusion. "You don't have any siblings." She said, her voice was confused and curious.

"My adopted siblings, Jason and Tayler. Their parents died and we took them in." I said sadly.

Maggie nodded and looked to Hershel. "Well, you're welcomed to stay here until you find your group." Hershel said politely.

I smiled. "Thanks Hershel. If you don't mind me asking, how are you untouched by this, apocalypse. There's not a walker anywhere." I said quickly.

He nodded and looked at me. "I guess we're just lucky." I nodded and looked at the other people in the room.

"Who are they?" I asked nodding to the new people. A blonde women stepped forward.

"I'm Patricia, this is my husband Otis." She said politely. A fat man, or Otis stepped forward.

"I'm sorry I pointed a gun at you, I didn't know who you were." Otis said loudly.

I nodded and gave him a small smile. "It's alright Otis, I understand." He gave me a small smile and sat back down next to Patricia.

"This is my boyfriend Jimmy." Beth spoke up happily.

I smirked and looked at Beth. "Little Beth's got a boyfriend?"

She nodded and took Jimmy's hand. Jimmy grinned at me and I gave a small smile. I wasn't really feeling that good, I haven't had food for a long while. Apparently Patricia noticed because she stood up and walked towards the kitchen.

"Would you like something to eat sweetheart?" She called from the kitchen.

"Can you spare it?" I asked quietly. Hershel laughed and put a hand on my knee.

"Don't be foolish." He chuckled. Hershel stood up and helped me stand.

"You need your rest, Beth will bring you your sandwich. Maggie show Mariah to a room alright?" Hershel urged.

Maggie walked over to me and took my arm. She lead me upstairs and down a hallway.

She opened a door and ushered me into a small room with a double bed. "I'll get you some clean clothes." She said and disappeared down the hallway.

Have I found my safe haven?