Chapter 65- The Vote

Jason, Daryl, T-Dog, Allison, and Maggie sat with me in small graveyard we had set up. We talked and joked all day, forgetting about Randal and forgetting about the world we knew now. Dale had walked by earlier, trying to convince us to let Randal live. I really didn't care about Randal.

I didn't care what happened, whether he stayed or died. I sat beside Daryl, resting my head on his shoulder, his arm around me. Daryl seemed so protective lately it was weird, as if something about his dead father attacking me changed something.

I looked towards the house and Rick was motioning for us to come. "Looks like its time for us to all vote now." I joked.

I jumped to my feet and started walking towards the house. I held Daryl's hand and when we stepped into the house Jenny glared daggers at me. Just to piss her off more, I cupped his face with my hand and pulled him into a long but soft kiss. I smiled against his lips and Jason cleared his throat. I pulled away, smirking at Jenny.

I looked at Daryl's eyes and they sparkled against the dim lighting. I stepped closer to him and we stood side by side, his arm wrapped around his waist and my hand resting on his chest.
We stood waiting for Rick to start the conversation over Randal's life. "Ready?" I asked Daryl, he nodded and I held him tighter.

"We need to take a vote." Rick stated, sitting beside Lori. "Who votes we spare Randal?" Rick asked.

Dale raised his hand, no one else siding with him. Dale looked at us all in disbelief. "No one wants to save him?" Dale asked, clearly astonished from the vote.

"Case, closed." Ryan mumbled, heading towards the door.

"If we do this, this group is broken!" Dale exclaimed.

Ryan stopped and looked at Dale "We have to give him a chance, we can't just kill someone like that!" Dale pleaded. More silence filled the air as we listened to Dale rant and plead. "If we do this, we're saying there's no humanity, no civilization left!" Dale yelled.

"He's right, we can't do this." Andrea said firmly. I looked at the group, taking in their expressions. I can't vote to keep him alive, I wouldn't feel safe. Theres no way I'm letting him walk around with Tayler and Jason being there too.

"I'm sorry Dale, no one feels safe." I whispered out. Dale looked at me in disbelief but Ryan supported my decision.

"Look we can't let him live! He's a violent person that doesn't respect women." Ryan barked out.

Rick sighed and rubbed his forehead "I'm sorry Dale, you're outnumbered." Rick said sadly.

Dale walked towards the door but turned around quickly, sadness and hatred filled his face. "This group is broken." Dale whispered before storming out of the house.

I didn't realize how tightly I was holding Daryl until he tried to pull my hand away from his chest. I peeled it away quickly and looked up at him. He had a cold expression as he stared at Rick.

After nearly everyone was back at camp or somewhere else in the house Rick walked over to us.

"Are you coming to the execution?" Rick asked me. I nodded and leaned against Daryl.

"Let's go." Daryl said quietly. We walked out towards the barn and Ryan opened it harshly.

I walked in, Daryl followed along with Rick. Ryan shut the door behind him and I looked at Randal's worried face.

Daryl walked over to Randal and quickly untied him from the chair. He pushed him to his feet and quickly redid the bindings again.

Daryl pushed Randal forward and yanked a bag over his head. "Aw no! No! No!" Randal started to cry. As Daryl pushed him to his knees I couldn't help but think what a coward Randal was being.

Accept your fate and die with dignity, not by sobbing to live. "Any last words or requests?" Rick asked the blubbering boy.

"Please! I'll do anything!" Randal begged. He continued to beg and Rick pointed the gun at his head.

"Do it dad." A small voice said from behind me. I whirled around and looked at Carl in astonishment.

"Carl!" I yelled and dragged him out of the room.

"Get him out of here!" Rick barked out angrily.

I looked behind me to see Daryl dragging Randal back to his chair. Carl yanked my hand off of his arm and I bent down.

"What was that?!" I yelled at him.

"Randal deserves to die. I wanted to see my dad kill him." He said sternly.

I rubbed my forehead from disbelief and shook my head. "No Carl, how can you be okay with that?" I asked.

"Mariah, I need to speak to Carl alone." Rick's solemn voice stated from behind me.

I smiled weakly at Carl and stood up. I turned to walk but Rick caught my arm. "Talk to Daryl, he'll fill you in." Rick whispered.

He released me and I nodded. I strolled around the other side of the barn and found Daryl leaning against the old wooden wall.

"Can you believe that?" I asked him.

He shook his head and crossed his arms. "We're gonna do it tomorrow, when lil Ryan ain't round." He commented. I smirked and crossed my arms.

"He is turning into Ryan, isn't he?" I asked. Daryl nodded and looked out into the distance.

It was nearly pitch black out, and I looked to see Dale wandering out into the field. "Whats the old fart up to?" I asked, squinting to get a better look.

"Dunno, I gotta go check somethin', you comin'?" He asked.

I nodded and we walked past the camp to the motorcycle. Daryl looked into his motorcycle pouch and cursed. "I knew it." He yelled angrily.

"That brat stole my gun! I was wonderin' where he got that gun from!" Daryl yelled. An ear piercing scream rang out and I looked towards the nearby field. Dale was gone.

Daryl took off and I followed after him, close on his heels. We ran past a dead and disgruntled cow and found a walker pulling Dale's intestines out.

Daryl pushed the walker off and quickly stabbed it, killing it instantly. "RICK!" Daryl and I screamed desperately.

"HELP!" I yelled. Everyone came running, Rick at the front of the pack.

"NO!" He screamed when he saw Dale's mangled body parts on the ground.

I started to cry and I clung to Daryl's side, right near Dale's head. Andrea started to loose it. She broke down and sobbed, Patricia and a few others joining in. I cried silently as the poor man suffered.

"Can you fix him?!" Rick yelled at Hershel.

"He'll never survive the move." Hershel said sadly.

"Then we'll just have to do it here, GLENN-" Rick said, but Hershel cut him off.

He shook his head and looked down at Dale "Theres nothing we can do." Hershel whispered.

"He's suffering!" Andrea sobbed. Tayler kneeled down next to Dale and Allison clung to Alex.

Jenny and Jason stood side by side and Ryan stood beside Rick, clearly disgruntled by the sight.

Rick pulled out his gun and pointed it at Dale's head. He hesitated for a moment and Daryl gently took the gun from his hand. He held his hand out and looked down at Dale. "Sorry brother." Daryl said quietly before pulling the trigger, ending Dale's life.