|93| - High School Advice

This can apply to rising freshman to rising juniors! 

1) Pick classes you know you're interested in

Don't pick something because your friends are in it or because your parents urge you to. I understand that it's tempting to pick all of the classes your friends are in so the school year will be fun, but trust me, it gets boring quickly. Your friends will not have the same exact interests as you and they might find a class easy and fun while you are struggling. You'll also find it very difficult to concentrate when your friends are with you 24/7. I'm not saying completely avoid them, but don't sacrifice your own interests just for the sake of being with your friends. Same goes with parents. They may push you in a certain direction, but if you truly have other plans, take the class you feel like you'd do good in and you would seriously enjoy. Don't do something because your parents are forcing you to. Trust me, I understand how hellish that is. 

2) Be prepared to get a shit-ton of projects with inconveniencing deadlines

You'll get projects due in the same week. You'll get projects due during finals. You'll get projects due online during break. You just have to get used to it. The projects may range from super easy to Creation From Hell™, but it's all part of life. If you truly have trouble turning the project in, ask for an extension two-three days before the deadline, not at 11:59 pm the night before. Teacher's appreciate it when you notify them of something beforehand. 

3) Study for tests at least a week before - please

I'm not kidding when I say this. If the test is on a subject you are not good at or particularly knowledgeable in, study! I don't mean reread your notes over and over again, but highlight key points. Make a summary of the chapter/lesson, memorize and quiz yourself on important vocab, make flashcards - ANYTHING that can help you. The most important thing is to remember not to convince yourself that you'll fail regardless of studying. Have confidence in yourself and your learning skills!

4) Keep yourself in check

Don't be an asshole. There will be days, weeks, maybe even months where you will sink to your lowest point and you won't act like your usual self. Make sure you understand your emotions and the causes of them by either doing it yourself or with a mental health expert. Don't lash out on people and most importantly, don't forget your morals.

5) Assess your mental/emotional/physical health frequently

This ties into #4. If you seriously feel like something is wrong with your mental/physical state, don't hesitate to go to a school counselor, your parents, or anyone you trust. Contrary to popular belief, your mental health comes first and you shouldn't have to sacrifice that for good grades. 

6) Don't overwork yourself

This sort of ties in the #1. When you're picking your classes, make sure you're not picking things that could possibly add more stress/burden to you. Don't take a bajillion APs just because it'll look good. Don't force yourself to do something perfect when you know that you don't have the time or the energy to do so. Don't force yourself to do something that you are not comfortable with and can't manage. 

7) Be respectful to teachers

You might need to get a recommendation from them. Treat them with respect, even if they are actual Satan to you. 

8) Volunteer hours are your best friend 

Don't do it for the sake of getting the graduation requirements. Find some place you really want to join and aid them in whatever they need. It's important to find a place that you love and want to come back to in the later years.

9) Do clubs/organizations outside of school/maintain diversity 

School clubs are awesome, but try to find a place (locally) that you can join. For example, I took Italian at a local Ivy League. Make sure your core classes are focused on the career/field you want to go into, but keep the extracurriculars diverse. Colleges want to see someone well rounded, not just gifted in one area. You can find these club connections through your school. 

10) Manage your free time wisely  

If you find yourself in a position where you don't have any homework to do, try to do something else. Do practice tests, read up on the news, read up on scientific/engineering research, find a hobby, or just read. Over the summer, try finding a summer program to do! It may seem trendy and cool just to stay home and play video games all day/stay inside all day, but it's good to find something that'll engage you. 

I hope this was helpful. I've been having the worst day today and I was motivated to do this (excuse any grammatical errors).