4

Chapter Four: Leaving

Lydia walked up the stone steps to Danny's house and raised her hand to knock on the door. Before her knuckles collided with the door, it swung open and startled her. Danny handed her the keys to his motorcycle without saying a word. She watched as his eyes glanced her over before telling her to wait. She arched her brow at him, but he walked off into his house before noticing. Lydia waited patiently, confused. Danny came back to the door a few seconds later, tossing her his jacket.

"It'd be best to invest in a proper jacket," Danny muttered. Lydia looked down at her tight leather jacket and decided that it probably wasn't the best jacket in the world. It was cold in New York, after all. 

"Thanks," Lydia said and Danny nodded.

"Don't get into any trouble, alright?" he said and Lydia sent him a smirk. Danny rolled his eyes and Lydia pecked him on the cheek.

"I'll bring this bad-boy back when I'm done," she said as she walked towards his garage. Danny mumbled an "okay" and went back inside his house.

"If there are any problems call me," John told his son as Stiles got into his police car. The younger Stilinski nodded and closed the door. His father tapped the top of the car twice before walking back into the station.

Stiles drove off as John entered the building. Deputy Romero smiled at him as he passed the front desk. He smiled back and took a sip of his coffee as he walked into his office.

The sheriff sat down in his chair and started to go through his files. A minute didn't even go by before Deputy Jordan Parrish walked in with a paper in his hand.

"What's up, Parrish?" John asked as he looked up at the other man. Parrish shrugged and handed him the single paper.

"There's been an incident with a street gang," Jordan said as Stilinski read the paper. "The victim said she was just walking by when a few of them started following her and one eventually stabbed her."

John nodded and looked up at him. "You and Deputy Whittemore can take this case if you two want." Parrish smiled and nodded.

"Yeah, yeah, thanks."

John handed him the paper back and Jordan left his office.

Danny sat down at the kitchen table and began to eat his cereal. His father walked in a few minutes later and made himself a bagel and cream cheese. Danny watched his father.

Mr. Mahealani didn't look at his son. His eyes stayed locked on his breakfast as he sat down a few seats away from him.

Danny laughed quietly to himself before standing up. "You know, you can ignore me all you want," he said, his eyes shooting daggers at the side of his dad's face. "But I don't care. I don't need you." Danny set his bowl of cereal on the counter as he walked out of the kitchen and into his room. 

He swung his closet door open and snatched his worn-out backpack from high-school. He emptied out books and papers he hadn't seen in years and began to stuff it with his clothes. His phone started to ring on the floor beside him and he sighed. He accepted the call by hitting the green answer button. "Hey Lyds," he said, trying to sound cheerful, "What's up?"

"I really, really need you to do me a favor," Lydia said with an urgency in her voice. "I need you to go into the trailer and grab me my stencil, you know, the little one with the–"

"Heart and dagger, I know," Danny said, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"I'm at that old gas station, the one we always drive by on the way home. But anyways, thank you! I owe you one big time!" With that, Lydia hung up.

Danny put his phone in his pocket and zipped up his bag. He slung it over his shoulder and opened his window. Danny climbed out and landed on the top of his garage. He jumped down from there and walked into it. Lydia took his motorcycle so the only thing he had left was his skateboard.

Danny knocked on the door of the trailer home. He saw that Natalie's car was gone so he wasn't sure if anyone was home. Danny started to dig around in his pocket for the spare key that Lydia had given him but Jacob opened the door.

"Hey," Jake said and took a bite out of his sandwich. "Lydia's not here at the moment, nor will she be for at least three more hours, like usual."

"Wasn't really looking for her anyways. I gave her my jacket last night and I just came to uh, get it back," Danny lied. Jacob nodded and moved out of the way for Danny to come in.

Danny shuffled past him as Jacob leaned back against the stove. He eyed the other boy as Danny dug around Lydia's bed. Jacob noticed the backpack slung over Danny's shoulder and he raised his eyebrows.

"You're going somewhere?" Jake asked and Danny grabbed the stencil quickly. Jacob didn't notice, being that he was more focused on Danny's response than what he was doing.

"Yeah, I'm leaving...for a little while." Danny shoved the plastic into his bag and stepped back. "Damn, my jacket's not here. Whatever I'll get a new one." He started to walk out of the trailer but Jacob grabbed his arm.

"Leaving? What? Why?" Jacob asked. Danny sighed.

"It hurts too much to stay in that damned house," Danny admitted reluctantly, "It doesn't feel like home. It feels like a prison."

"Yeah, I get it. I'm sorry, though, that you feel that way and all..." 

Danny nodded, not knowing what to say. There wasn't anything to say, really. "Oh. Well um... I'll see you around I guess–"

"You could stay here," Jake suggested quickly. "For a little bit. I can take out the tent or something. I don't want my sister heartbroken over you leaving. I'm sure you don't want to add this to her list of things to be sad about, right?"

Danny scratched the back of his neck. "Look," He sighed, "I don't want your pity. I'm fine, really."

"I wasn't–okay–just...Okay, yeah," Jacob stuttered out, his skin flushed a light shade of pink. Danny bit his lip.

"I got to go, but thanks, nonetheless."

Jacob nodded and watched as Danny left the mobile home. He got on his skateboard and began skating out of the trailer park. Jake sighed and closed the door.