87. #67 Rickard Rakell (Anaheim Ducks)

Start from the beginning

"The Swede who played for us? Yeah, I remember him. He is in the NHL now, isn't he?"

"Yeah... uh, dad, is there any possibility you and mom let me go to Anaheim for few days? Please?"

"Anaheim? Why... Rickard plays for Anaheim, is that why?"

"Tomorrow is a game seven and he is just so nervous..."
"Did he call you?"

"Yes, he did. Dad, we are friends, we have been since he started playing here. Of course he'd call me if he needed something. Please, can I go to California? Only for few days? Pretty please? I promise my school work won't suffer and my chances to attend Andrews University won't get any smaller, I promise. I just want to see Rick and be there to support him."

You see how much your father hesitates, so you try one more thing. "Please, I will clean up my room every day for a month."

"I have to talk to your mother."

The next day in catch the earliest flight to California and hours later the plane you are on touches the ground of Santa Ana airport. Yesterday you informed Rickard you'd be coming over and he promised you he'd pick you up. And there he is, even though it's really early, he is really there, leaning on a hood of his car. Last time you saw him, he wasn't even old enough to drink, let alone drive. And now he has a car. Even though it looks a bit beaten up and old, but it's an actual car. Your smile grows wide as you approach him and notice how much he has changed from a baby-faced Swede to a Swedish man. He notices you and his lips curve into a huge smile. He puts down his sunglasses and stretches out his hand: "Your ride is waiting, my lady."

You take his hand and giggle at his adorableness: "Thank you, kind sir."

Being the same old gentleman as he was that many years ago, he opens the passenger door for you and waits until you sit in before taking your luggage and stuffing it into a trunk. Then he finally sits in and starts the car. Few seconds of silence pass before you finally ask: "So, how has NHL been? I saw you got into a fight a month ago. How did that feel?"

He chuckles and ruffles his hair, a gesture you have never seen: "Well, it was surely a new experience, I am a nice guy and I don't like getting into a fight. But he was just asking for it."
"I was proud of you. Great fight."

"Thanks," he quickly smiles before retrieving his focus back on the road. You also notice how nervous he is when he starts gently tapping his fingers against the steering wheel and ruffling his hair when the car stops at the red light.

"Rick, I am glad to be here..."

"So am I, Y/N, but I am so nervous and I am really sorry if you will feel ignored."
"No problem, I understand, it's a huge pressure, especially since it's the seventh game and you play it in front of your own fans in home arena. How does it feel playing for Ducks, really? And what's the ice like in Honda Center?"

"I really like it here. But I remember the days in Plymouth time to time. And you, how many good and bad things we have been through together."

"There were many," you agree and subconsciously put your hand on his. He looks at you for a split second and smiles. His smile and his eyes make your heart flutter.

"It means a lot to me to have you here again. What did your boyfriend say?"

Very smooth move, you think to yourself: "Actually, I don't have one. What did your girlfriend say when you told her you'd be picking up a girl from your times of playing in Plymouth?"

He chuckles and stops in front of a Dunkin' Donuts: "I don't have one. And I bet you are starving, so let me buy you a breakfast."
"Dunkin' Donuts? I am actually on a diet..."
"Excuse me? What for?" he seems honestly surprised. You sigh and start explaining: "Well, apparently guys like girls who are as boney as skeletons and I am not..."

"Shut up. I don't know who made you feel like that, but I want to know. Actually no, I don't want to know. Now, my treat. Pick as much as you want, okay?"
"Are you coming with me?"

"Yeah, I will be here in five minutes, okay?"

Confused as hell, you enter the Dunkin' Donuts and pick six donuts which you believe both of you will like. You find yourself thinking maybe you should buy two cups of coffee for both of you, when you see Rick coming towards the DD with Starbuck's coffees in his hands, his smile wide again. He stops by the window and chuckles: "Come on, I want to catch morning practice. What are you waiting for? Christmas?"

You shake your head and walk out: "I was waiting for my silly best friend to show up and help me pick the donuts."
"Well, I did show up, but I bought you coffee which is better. Now plop in and start eating."

Forty-five minutes pass quickly as you two eat, drink coffee and catch up in his old car. His palm touches yours time to time and that makes butterflies in your stomach go crazy.

"So, how come you don't have a boyfriend?" he asks while eating his third donut. You shrug your shoulders and take a sip of your coffee: "How come you don't have a girlfriend?"

"Good question. Maybe I have found my dream girl, she just doesn't know that yet."

"What is she like?"

"Well, she has been by my side for so long I don't even remember. And I know she will keep supporting me, that is why I am happy to know her. She is a great girl, the only problem is she doesn't see how amazing she is."
"Did you tell her?"

"No. I am scared she might reject me."

"Did you ask her out?"
"Actually, Y/N... I was talking about you. You have been by my side for the longest time I can remember, you jumped on the plane to come here, you remembered which donuts are my favorite."

"Rick, you have no idea how many times I have imagined you saying that," you look at him, small tears gathering in your eyes. His eyes grow wide: "You actually like me back?"

"Of course. I have liked you even when you played for my dad, but I wasn't allowed-" he cancels you with a sweet kiss, which is not too rough and no hesitant either. A kiss by a man who knows what he wants. When you pull apart, you are both smiling and he takes your hand in his: "Now I only have to ask you to go to the game with me."
"I- I don't have tickets."

He leans over to your seat and opens the department where he has tissues, a travel guide and some change.

"Thank god I thought of that, right?" he smiles and hands you a ticket. Your first NHL playoff ticket...to see your long time crush and best friend. And now, even maybe something more.

"You are amazing, Rick, seriously."

A small tear of happiness slips down your cheek and he kisses it away, mumbling against your skin: "Tack för att du kom hit."

"What does that mean?"
"Thank you for coming here," he smiles widely, his accent filling the car. You peck tip of his nose and whisper: "Anytime, Ricky, anytime."

"And than you so much for supporting me, you have really been a great friend."
"Are you less stressed now?"
"Maybe. I don't know. But I know if things get tough, I will have you on the stands. Oh, and wear this."

From the back seats he gives you a signed Ducks' jersey with his number on the back.

Not only you finally admitted your feelings towards him, he did the same. And he gave you his jersey, which he only later admitted was worn in his first NHL game.