She's Such A Little Party Girl

Start from the beginning

And my dearest brother, never one to turn down a bet, especially with food as a wager, danced. It wasn't just dancing - it was full-blown battling for those three hot, sugary donuts. He hit the moves (and added in some interesting steps of his own) and even sang along, until he ran out of breath, as he powered his way through the routine. For a brief moment his score was higher than mine and I got worried that I'd actually have to buy him food, but his momentary lead was soon lost, as I finished with a streak of 'Perfect's. 

"And that, Zac, is how it's done," I told him in between huge gasping breaths. I patted him on the shoulder as I went to grab a drink before going to collapse on my bed. 

***

My phone rang from somewhere underneath a pile of clothes heaped on my beanbag. I pulled it out and picked up. 

"Hi, looking forward to ton-" I began but was interrupted quickly by Aaron's anxious voice.

"Inds, look, erm. I just. Well you should probably know that..." he tailed off. 

Should I be nervous? What was he going to say next? 

"...that I can't wait to see you tonight. And I swear it'll all be perfect for you. Everything's just being sorted here...some adjustments that needed fixing but it's being done now so, so..." he tailed off again, out of breath from speaking so fast.

The doorbell rung from downstairs and I heard Zac open the door and let the person in. He yelled up the stairs for me to come down.

"I can't wait to see you either Aaron. Now calm down, I know it'll be perfect - you're going to be there. I have to go now, but I'll see you later, yeah. Bye."

He echoed me and hung up as I bounced down the stairs into the kitchen.

***

I quite like getting my hair and make-up done, I've decided. It's very relaxing. I just get to sit here whilst my two fairy godmothers transform me into a princess worthy of my dashing prince. 

My long dark hair, normally in tangled curls has been teased into an elegant up-do - like a chocolate box ribbon, it all twists  and weaves and curls in a bun thing that is perched at the back of my head. There are little beads threaded through it and a few curls have been left to whisper around my face and neck; very Taylor Swift-esque. 

My face was in the process of being attacked with a number of brushes, sweeping and swirling at my cheeks and eyes. We had so far done cleansing and toning and concealing and God knows how many other things but I occasionally caught a peek in the mirror and it looked good so far. 

"So, you got a date then? Who's the lucky guy?" the make-up girl, Theresa asked me. I opened my mouth to reply and received a lungful of hairspray instead. I choked on the strong smell and spluttered out a half "Yes." in answer to her question. 

"I am so sorry, Indiana. I didn't mean to do that," Karlie the hairdresser said apologetically. "So who is he? Anyone I might know? My brother Jay is in your year."

Oh. Jay's sister. I see. I knew I recognised her eyes from somewhere - they are electric green and vey wide. Haha yes, if you live in this century you will have heard of my boyfriend, I thought to myself. My boyfriend. 

"No, he's from out of town, he doesn't go to our school. And he's older." I answered. It was the truth - Aaron isn't from round here and he is older, I just wasn't telling her any real facts. 

"Ooh, alright for some hey. What's he like?" Theresa asked as she dabbed some more eyeshadow onto my eyelid. 

"He's tall, and has blonde hair. And he has these gorgeous golden eyes. And muscles. And a really cute smile..." I grinned soppily. 

Both girls were looking at one another and Karlie said, "Girl, you got it bad for this guy." 

It was true though, I had. And in just two hours I would be there with him on the dance floor.

***

I sat tentatively in the beautiful car with the shining black doors and silver lady on the front of the bonnet. A Rolls Royce. It was gorgeous. It had turned up outside my house about ten minutes ago as I stood getting my picture taken next to the Christmas tree in our front room. Now I was sitting on it's cream leather seats as it rolled up the gravel drive and slowed to a halt I'm front of the steps of Harrington Hall. 

The driver got out and opened the door for me, offering me a hand to steady myself as I sunk onto the gravel slightly. 

"Thank you very much," I said, before he told me he'd be in the carpark to take me home later on this evening. I nodded as he got back in the car and started be engine. There were a good number of cars pulling into the driveway, some parking and some just dropping people outside the doors before driving away again. A lot of people were here already and they all looked spectacular: the boys now dashing gentlemen in their suits and ties; the girls so lady-like and elegant in swathes of beaded, pastel tulle and chiffon and silk. 

I caught people glancing at me as I walked up the steps and into the entrance hall. No one said anything, and by the quizzical look on their faces I'd go as far to say that they didn't recognise me. Which was rather amusing. 

I looked at my reflection in a large gold-guilt framed mirror as I passed down a large, bright corridor to the ballroom. My eyes stood out, smoky grey and silver and black eyeshadow blended together; lashes rimmed with black kohl eyeliner and fluttering with mascara. It was subtly done but the effect was very pretty and quite dramatic at the same time. My hair was, of course, still in place. The amount of hairspray she used it had better not fall out, blimey, talk about overkill. And my dress. Oh I love my dress. Long and sweeping; with a corseted and intricately beaded bodice and a fishtail skirt. The silver silk contrasted against my tanned skin and I felt like a complete princess in it.

Throwing myself a small smile, I carried on walking, through a curtain of dark blue, and into the hall.