“That’s why people walk all over that, because when it comes to defending myself, I have nothing to say. I have no backbone.“ I add.

Luke gave me warm, genuine smile. “That’s true.”

Again I don’t get Luke. Why is he smiling about something like that? It’s like he knows something I don’t. But that’s so Luke, every time I think of something as bad, Luke can make it good again.

He saw my frustrated face and that I didn’t have the energy to ask, “It’s true for you, but it’s not true that you have no backbone. Trust me, Vanessa, you have plenty of backbone. The way you told me how you’ve been defending Matthew all these years’ sounds like backbone to me. When it comes to other people you have all the right things to say. You’re like a superhero without the disguise.”

I…I want to say something, but I didn’t know how to respond to that. Nobody has ever summarised me like this. It made me feel strange to be thought so highly of. Especially by Luke. He’s so amazing. A lot more amazing than I am, because if I were someone else, I’d think of me as pathetic. Is it wrong for me to want to cry at Luke’s words? I feel appreciated for once.

I pull myself together and giggle. This…all of it seems like a bad movie to me, or more like a dream. I just really wish I’d wake up. “Thanks. I really do feel better.” I sniff but thankfully no tears fall and I give him and honest big smile.

He smiles back just as brightly, “Want to get out of here and head somewhere else?”

I nod eagerly, “Yeah. Anywhere where there are not this many people.”

***

Oh man. I’ve been staring at Jason all practice long. I really should just talk to him. Apologize…but I’m just too chicken.

Stop whining! I yell mentally.

“Okay girls, stretch and you can go home.” Coach Smith announces.

Sighing I wipe sweat from my brow with the back of my hand and sat down, bending forward to touch my toes.

“You okay?” Valery asks as she sat down next to me. “You seemed kind of distracted this whole time.”

I try to keep cool, “I’ve got a lot on my mind. School you know.” I say with a smile.

“Oh, I totally get it.” Valery nods in understanding.

“What’s up?” Michelle sits down to join us.

“Just that Vanessa…”

I zoned out and change position before looking over to the football field again. Jason is busy talking to a teammate, pointing at a certain direction of the field. He’s probably giving him advice and direction. It’s incredible how he can guide all those players to victory. His teammate nodded once before running ahead. Our eyes meat and I swear my heartbeat just increased in speed as I worried about his reaction, but he soon looked away again and jogged off to another part of the field.

Disappointment, that’s what I feel. I was right, he is mad.

“Geesh, Vanessa!”

“Huh?” I stare at Valery and Michelle dumbfounded, only realising now that I was actually talking to them.

Valery grinned at Michelle, who seemed a little confused at what Valery was getting at. “Who were you staring at?”

“No one.” I answer immediately. “Their practice is just really interesting.”