Chapter Six: Nightmares, Whiskey & Drunk Cam

Start from the beginning

“See what you’ve done to mom? It’s your entire fault.” Jordan, my second eldest brother scowled, motioning to my unconscious mother.

She was in the hospital because she was heavily bleeding, which then led to her miscarriage.

We had just found out we were going to have a little brother.

“How is it my fault?!” I screamed at him, knowing he couldn’t do anything because we were in a hospital room filled with watching people.

“Because you didn’t get off your lazy arse and clean the house.” He said coldly, raising his arm up warningly.

“Cleaning isn’t only a woman’s job. Men can do it too.” I said just as coldly, glancing at my mother. She looked pained in a way, even as she slept.

“No! It’s a woman’s job to clean the house. Men don’t clean, that’s why we have you lazy bitches to do it.” he whispered harshly, slapping his arm down on my shoulder in a rough, stinging slap.

“Don’t be so sexist. If men and women were made equal, then why do you treat us like second class citizens? Religion can be a bit hypocritical, don’t you think?” I said bravely, gritting my teeth at another one of his sexist remarks.

“Blasphemy!” then he punched me in the nose, hard. It started bleeding immediately as my head knocked back from the strong force.

My face was aching and though as a repeat, my mind replayed his words over, making me feel that terrifying pain all over again.

*End Nightmare*

I woke up with a gasp, my chest heaving and rising as I tried to get some oxygen into my body. Sweat was plastered to my skin; my nose was strangely heated as if it relived that whole awful episode again.

I grabbed my iPhone that was charging on the bed side table, panting heavily.

Crap.

It was only one am, immediately I felt the cold attack my body. I shivered as I hopped out of bed, throwing on a pair of jeans I grabbed from the drawer.

I didn’t bother to put a top on; my lacy red singlet was good enough to go out in.

As I slipped on some black with colourful flowers printed ballet flats I grabbed my hand bag and shut the door quietly behind me.

I tip toed as noiselessly as I could, shuffling and keep on watch for any sudden people to pop out and stab me.

I breathed a sigh of relief as soon as I was outside, breathing in the cold night air.

I shivered as I unlocked the rental car, getting in quickly to turn on the heat.

I pulled out of the ranch and bolted for the town square, looking for a bar that I could just relax in.

Because I knew it was better to drown out my sorrows instead of lying awake at night, wondering when I’d ever stop being afraid of my night mares.

I pulled up to an open bar; it had lights in orange flashing Benji’s Bar. It looked promising from the outside, not a lot of cars but from the doors opening each time when someone left.

I parked into an empty parking space, clicking the lock button on my keys. I gripped my hand bag tighter to my body; the cold air was getting more frosted.

The bar was simple enough, cozy even.

Red and black tables with brown wooden chairs, frames of famous celebrities that had entered the bar, looking around there was even a little grill where a few heavy set guys were munching on some curly fries and a greasy burger.