Chapter Four: Bonding with Susanne, Defending Cam

Start from the beginning

“First of all, I am not a whore. You can tell your friends to kindly shut fuck up before they start calling people she don’t know awful words. Second of all, I would never date that snake of a man; Cam can go to hell for all I care. But I can tell he’s already too damn good for a weird bitch like you, he has more class than you can ever hope for.

“Thirdly, don’t you ever come up to me again, you stupid Barbie like stalker! The world doesn’t revolve around you and Cam isn’t some groveler for you.” I growled at her, it only took one step closer and she screamed in fright, backing away.

I can tell no one has ever talked back to her this way before.

“How dare you! I’m telling my father on you! You’ll see; you’ll regret the day you talked back to me.” She threatened like a big girl. I started laughing at her, holding my ribs.

Who the hell tells their daddy?

“Go tell your father. I’m shaking in my chucks.” I giggled, shaking my head.

Which angered her, because she stomped her foot and screamed.

“Daddy!” she yelled, running out the open store door. I just stared at her running away, seriously what’s up with that chick?

Someone tapped my shoulder twice softly; I turned around to see an older woman smiling brightly. She had soft brown hair that was greying, and light brown eyes with wrinkles marring her pretty face.

“Well if it ain’t the day I prayed for. The lord finally sent someone down to knock that vile Lucinda girl down a few pegs. My name’s Peggy Whitham.” She grinned, pulling me in for a gentle hug.

I smiled back at her friendly, shocked that she hugged me.

Perry wasn’t lying about the greeting.

“I’m Jessie Moore. Can you tell me who that Lucinda idiot was?” I introduced, pointing my thumb towards the door the screaming wacko went through.

Mrs Whitham chuckled, throwing a hand to her heart. But then the smile dropped suddenly, her eyes tinged sadness.

“That idiot was Lucinda Wright. She was engaged to the eldest Buckley brother, ah Cam. Needless to say, she walked down the aisle, looked him straight in the eyes and said she he wasn’t good enough for her to marry, that she was running off with his best friend James Malcavoy.”

“Cam was heartbroken of course, being the diva she is she had to say it in front of all those people instead of telling him privately.” She explained, shaking her head in anger.

“What a bitchy slut.” Oops, I clamped a hand over my mouth.

“Dear, we’ve said worse. We aren’t all ladies behind the masks.” She laughed, patting my shoulder.

“Hey Jessie do you think this dress is right?” Susanne asked, walking over to me as she adjusted the bust.

It was a lovely blood red strapless dress, with a long trail and fitted her curves in all the right places.

“Perfect.” I grinned at her, helping her hold up the long train behind her.

“Oh, hello Mrs Whitham. Momma asked me to ask you if you could make it for Sunday dinner.” Susanne invited, smiling as she smoothed down the dress with her hands.

“Of course I will, I’ll even bring Tucker.” Mrs Whitham winked at Susanne, who blushed as the same colour of the dress.

“Oh my, does someone have a little crush?” I teased, giggling as she flushed a darker attractive shade.

Susanne mumbled something under her breath then excused herself to go take off and pay for the gown.

“So, Jessie. Mary told me you were living with them Buckley’s, how’s it going so far?” she asked, grabbing a blue dress off the rack to examine.

“Um, it’s only been a few days but it’s been good, except for Cam.” I grumbled, thinking about him darkened my mood.

“That’s how it starts out darlin’. First there is hate, then there is insane passion to drive you wild and finally well you know….” She leaded on; to be honest I wasn’t really paying attention.

I was watching the windows at the little display outside, because speak of the devil and the devil shall appear.

Cam came out of a hard ware store holding a few bags, his Stetson tilting a bit from the breeze. He looked so god damned handsome….then as if on que Lucinda ran towards him, hugging him.

She kissed him full on the mouth, for some reason that made me clench my hands.

Cam dropped the bags in shock and started pushing her away, he looked really angry to see Lucinda; I saw shock and betrayal on his face too, as hard as he tried to hide it.

Then Lucinda pointing towards the shop, her face in distress as her lips moved. Cam shook his head at her, his face going red in fury as he yelled something at her.

Lucinda screamed something back and turned away, Cam shook his head angrily at her and yelled something back, though her back was still turned as she walked.

Oh crap! Cam was walking towards the shop I was in, I swallowed the weird lump in my throat as an angry Cam stepped in.

“Cam, sweetheart. Nice to see you again.” Mrs Whitham greeted warmly, oblivious to the tension in the store.

“Mrs Whitham,” he greeted back without taking his eyes off of me. I swear I could see a smirk hinting on his face.

“I’m going to borrow Jessie for a moment, if y’all don’t mind.” He added, tugging me out of the store without my consent.

“Hey! Let go. Susanne still in the store!” I yelled, tugging my arm back.

The wind blew, ruffling my hair around my face as his black Stetson tilted to the left.

“Is it true you defended me?” he asked after a moment of just staring. I felt my heart beat quicken.

“Yeah and don’t go thanking me, cowboy. She was getting on my nerves.” I said smoothly, actually I didn’t like the way she talked about Cam.

Like Cam were hers, and only hers.

The smirk came into view; the clouds hid the sun so that for a long moment everything went a bit darker than the usual daylight.

“I would say thanks but then again I don’t like you, Jessie. This doesn’t mean I won’t stop pranking you though, making your life hell on the Ranch.” He smirked, tipping back his Stetson to its usual spot.

“Then dance with the Aussie, cow boy. You’re going to lose this fight.” I smiled fiercely, flipping my hair back over my shoulder. I felt it softly brush against my waist as I turned my back on a widely sexy smirking Cam to walk back into the store.