Chapter One: New Beginnings,Old Wounds

Start from the beginning

"Kay, here's your ticket. Don't forget that you have five thousand dollars in your credit card." My best friend Melinda said, handing me the precious items.

It also had taken me years of double shifts to get enough money for the trip. I had started working since I was fifteen, taking some portions of my pay and putting it under one of my floorboards in my room, until I had saved enough money for the trip. When I was still a teenager, I saved the money because I knew one day I would leave my old life.

"Okay, what time does the plane leave?" I asked her, going back to packing my suitcase.

"One pm, but you have to be there at least three hours earlier so you can check in, trust me there's going to be a long line." She said; I could hear each tap she made when she typed in all the instruction into my notes in my iPhone.

I finished packing; I'm only bringing the clothes I bought. Not the hideous girly ones my mother liked to buy me. I had a nice collection of expensive designer brand jeans, some pairs of converse sneakers, some shorts, tons of band shirts and a few sun dresses; I even bought new lingerie for my life changing trip.

If I was going to a new place, then I was going to be a better person. A better me.

I straightened my back, closed the zipper on the suitcase and passed it over to Melinda. She huffed under the weight as we both ran for her car outside. I looked around the neighbourhood, thank god there was no one outside to set what all the commotion was about.

"Shit! Forgot my wallet!" I yelled in frustration when I realized I didn’t have it on me, then turned on my heal as I ran back into my empty house.

The 'family' was out at a dinner with some relatives I hated, who judged me on my style rather than who I am.So it had taken me and Melinda months to plan my escape, she knew about my abusive life and was determined to help me, knowing we could never contact each other again afterwards.

I huffed as I streaked around in the house, opening my room to take the overnight bag we forgot to take. I grabbed my purple and red wallet and iPhone off my dresser, bloody Melinda forgot them here.

I walked out of my room, feeling beyond anxious and excited, a tinge bit sad. I always dreamed of leaving this hell hole, and now that I finally am it's a bit heart breaking concerning why I'm forced to leave.

I let my hands trail the couches, the walls, hell even the photo frames. I’ll remember what it was like to live in a house like this. I just stood there, gathering the courage to put my feet forward.

Then with great effort I forced myself to run out of the house and into the waiting car.

"What took you so long?!" Melinda asked, pulling out of the parking spot and zoomed down the street. I quickly put on my seat belt, settled back against the car and made sure everything was in my handbag. I looked back to see where I'd thrown my overnight bag, and sure enough it was slanted over my big suitcase. I sighed in relief and put my wallet and iPhone into my hand bag, double checking for my plane ticket.

"You forgot my phone and wallet plus my night bag, dumb ass!" I yelled at her, placing a hand on the dash board.

She snorted out a laugh and drove faster to the airport.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Alright, got everything you need. Suit case, handbag and overnight bag?" I nodded to all three as I hugged her, letting a few tears escape. Melinda started crying as she helped me get inside the airport.