Chapter One: New Beginnings,Old Wounds

Comenzar desde el principio

The officer looked down at me, obviously believing what I said. He probably thought I was a clumsy child, like the other officers.

After he had finished questioning me and my family, he left the room shortly to let the nurse administer my pain medicine. It didn’t work immediately; though I did feel my chest lighten as my eyes started to drop.

"Is there anything we can do for you sweetheart?" my mom asked me, I turned my head to look at her tear strained face.

I loved my mother, but I could barely look at her now.

"You've done enough." I told them coldly, looking at each faces of my supposed family. My left eye twitched, my lips felt so dry and chapped as I ran moisture less tongue over them in a way to help the aching in them.

Just leave me alone, alone to die.

"We tried to stop him! Why couldn't you just stay quiet?!!" she cried, see staying quiet meant I'd get less of a beating. I just stared at her in disgust, and then I shook my head slowly.

To live a carefree life, what a stupid thought.

"Get out." I said to them, the tears were leaking out of my eyes again, I felt so cold yet the tears were so warm.

"But Jessica!" I looked at her, keeping my face expressionlessly. She looked so sad, but she also looked at me like it was my fault. At that moment, I felt such extreme rage I snapped.

"Get out!" I screamed, reaching out with my good hand to throw a white plastic jug at her, the jug hit the floor before splashing them in water.

My other two brothers looked at me in pity, they were the first to leave. My father urged my mother out of the room, crying with her as he pulled her out.

Get out, all of you just get out and never come back.

Breathing in shallow breaths, I leaned back into the hospital bed. Staring at the ceiling, I pondered what my life would be like if I stayed living with my family. I'll probably be dead before I turn 18, since I almost died yesterday.

However. . . .

I could finally live out my dream and travel the world, getting as far as possible from this hellhole. I could gotoconcerts, dates, places I’ve never been allowed to. I could do all that, I could be safe and happy.

When I look back on this day, I’ll see it more as a blessing than a curse. Because right here, right now is where I finally make that decision I’ve always wanted to.

I was finally going to get away from this place.

*Six Months Later*

It took half a year for me to heal. My birthday passed two days ago, August Fifth. That was the day I official turned eighteen.

It was a alright birthday, I was allowed to go to the movies with a few friends (females only) and grab a bite to eat afterwards.

Every single bone I had was healed to perfection, every cut and bruise fully healed.

What a fun healing process that was for me! All throughout it I was taunted by Luke, he’d sneer at me and look at the stairs, then glance back at me with a twisted smile.

I absolutely hate him, I wish someone would kill him. Or that he’d go mysteriously missing, or gets jailed for what he’s done to me.

I can’t spend another day here; my body couldn’t physically and emotionally take it anymore.