Ninteen

Mike's POV
***************
All 6 of us were separated around the kitchen just talking. Vic in a chair at the bar, Jaime standing, arms folded, against the doorway, Scar and Tony at the table, and Grace and I on the counter. When we were all talking, the subject of Grace's birthday came up. I can't believe she's turning 16. When I think about it, it kind of makes me sad but really happy at the same time, I don't know.

"Guys, I don't want you to waste your time with a party." Grace told us all. "To me, a party would be completely pointless. It's just a normal day."

"Come on, G. You have to have a party." Jaime exclaimed.

"Well, I don't want one, and don't even think about throwing one you two." She said, referring to Jaime and I.

"Yeah, right. Like that's gonna happen." I mumbled.

"I'm serious, Mike. I don't want a party." She said to me.

"Gracie, remember when you were 10 and you said you wanted to have a huge party when you turned 16?" Scar asked her.

"Yeah."

"So I asked you why and you said.." She continued.

"Because that's what Dad always wanted." Grace paused for a moment. "But that was when I was 10. I don't want one anymore."

"I think you should have one." Vic said quietly, from the chair at the bar.

"Really? Vic you're always on my side with things! Even more than Mike." Grace replied.

"I'm just saying, it'd be fun." He said.

"Whatever, I'll be back in a few minutes." Grace said, hopping off of the counter.

"Where are you going?" Jaime asked.

"Just to the store." She said and I gave her a look. She must've noticed because soon after she said, "I want pudding but Tony ate the last one." She looked at me expectantly and I tossed her my wallet. She got what she needed, tossed it back and headed out.

As soon as she walked out, Scar looked at me and said, "So, Mike, since you're her favorite, apparently, how are you gonna convince her to let us throw her a party?"

"I'm not going to. She said she doesn't want a party so I'm not gonna make her have one." I explained.

It was silent for a few seconds as Scar just gave me a blank look.

"Yeah, you're lying." She said as she got up and walked towards me. "Look, I know that you have something planned because you don't just give up that easily. Do me a favor though, don't fuck up, dude." She patted my cheek twice and walked away. "Come on, babe. Since she made it obvious that there's no pudding left there's definitely nothing else left because that's the only time any of us eats pudding so we're going to Walmart." And with that, Scar and Tony were gone, leaving just Vic, Jaime, and I.

"Wanna watch a movie?" Jaime said. I wasn't all that interested at the moment and besides I was gonna be busy.

"You guys go ahead, I have some things to take care of." I said.

"Alright, suit yourself." He replied, before getting Vic's attention once more.

As soon as they left I pulled out my phone and called a number that I never wanted to call again - Raymond's.

RING

RING

RING

RI-

R- yeah?

M- Romeo, it's Mike.

R- I know who it is. What's up?

M- You know that Grace's birthday is next week, right?

R- Yeah, why?

M- I need your help.

R- Why could you possibly need my help?

M- Well I wanna throw her a little party. Not a huge one just a small get together.

R- Okay, so what does that have to do with me?

M- You have to come.

R- ...

M- Look, I know that she hasn't told anyone else about it but it's only because she's nervous, okay? Just show up when I ask.

R- Okay.

M- Great, thanks.

And before I could say anything else, he hung up. It's gonna take a little time to get used to his fucked up attitude.

I'm thinking that since her birthday is on Halloween, it could be a costume party. I made a list of things that I would need to do and buy. I called a bunch of people. I decided it would be a surprise party, even for the people who lived in this house. I knew that even if I said small, it wouldn't be small at all. 16 is a big deal. Especially for Grace. I figured it's now or never, you only turn 16 once. I didn't know exactly how I would put it together but what I did know was that this party would be great. Absolutely fucking fantastic.