Two

Scarlet's POV
***************
"Jaime?"

"Scarlet?" So he does remember me. "What are you doing here?"

"Just visiting." I said, my voice oddly low.

"Just visiting." He repeated and stared for a few seconds. "Okay, well where's your mom, I'd love to see her again."

"She's, uh, at the store." This time, my usually shallow voice even deeper.

"You're lying."

"No, I'm not."

"Scar, it may have been a while since I last saw you but I still remember that your voice gets deeper when you're lying."

We first met when I was 6 and he was 8. All the other kids made fun of me for being so small. He stood up for me when they did. We may have been young but those kids were gruesome. Since then we'd always played together and hung out. We even had sleepovers. We were best friends. In 5th grade, however, he moved away. During the hardest part of my life, he wasn't there when I needed him most. I was terrified of what might have happened.

Jaime and I met again a few years back at a concert. I was the very last one there and I was sitting outside in the pouring rain. It turns out he was visiting his grandparents in Connecticut for the weekend. He gave me a ride home and we talked all the time after that before losing touch again.

Now, with Grace standing behind me and Jaime in front of me, I didn't know what to say. The only thing I could do was hug him.

"Look, I know she's not here. And it's pretty obvious that you have nowhere to stay so you're coming with me, alright?" He said quietly while still holding me in his arms.

"Okay..." I said but almost couldn't hear myself. "I didn't think you'd remember me."

"Of course I did. How could I forget little squirt?" He chuckled a little.

"Squirt?" Grace questioned.

"I'll explain later." I told her.

Of course, when we saw Jaime, he was walking home from somewhere so we had to walk with him back to his house. It was a big blue house at the end of a dead end street. We walked inside and put our bags on the floor. I felt my jaw drop in awe and I'm sure Gracie's jaw did the same.

"Come on, I'll show you around." He told us and we followed him.

The first thing we saw when we walked in was the living room. The couches looked so comfortable. Like a new sheet of snow. Next he walked further inside and there was the kitchen and the dining room. He opened a door in the kitchen and there was the garage. Once we went back inside we turned another corner and there was the theater room.

"I usually just come in here to chill, you know? It calms me down when I'm having a rough day." I nodded so he knew that I was listening to him ramble. "Okay, now we'll go upstairs."

We walked back out and went up the stairs. He showed us our rooms and the bathrooms. Grace was tired so she turned in early and went to bed. It turns out that I was pretty tired too, given the day that we just had.

"Okay, Jaime I think I've had enough house touring for now. I'll just find my way around." I told him.

"Suit yourself. Anyways I'm gonna head to bed, and I'm sure you're tired too. Night!" He said.

"Night."

I wandered off into my new room. It was quite cozy actually. The big bed and even bigger window. It was all so new to me. I walked over to the bed and rolled around in the duvet. Soon I drifted off into a soothing slumber.

The next morning I woke up later than I usually would have. It was the best sleep that I'd had in ages. I guess I had fallen asleep in my clothes, wow I must have been tired. I decided to take a shower. The water felt amazing against my skin and hair. I also wasn't used to having such a big shower. Once I got out I wrapped myself in a towel. As soon as I got out, though, I realized that my clothes were still downstairs. I very quietly tiptoed down the creaky steps and grabbed my bag just to carry it back up. I hurriedly got dressed and went down to the kitchen.

When I walked in, I saw Jaime standing by the oven on his phone. He looked up at me.

"Morning Scar!" He said, a huge smile spread across his face.

"Morning." I said quietly, it was still a little awkward.

"Come here." He said to me and I did as told. "So do you wanna talk about it, or no?"

I hesitated and was a little nervous at first but told him anyways. I explained the entire story and by the end found myself in tears. I've never told anyone about what happened in that house. I never thought I'd escape.

"Scar, you are one strong person. To be able to deal with that and keep yourself and your sister alive is a hard job. I'm so proud of you." He told me.

"Thanks. And thanks for letting us stay here."

"Anything for you. So do you want some cereal? Sorry, that's all I have right now." He said, reached up to rub the back of his neck.

"Actually, that's perfect." I told him.

We ate Lucky Charms and watched SpongeBob. Just how I like it.