Chapter 37

"Marianna, where the heck are you?" Bri shouts through the phone.

"Waiting for Michael." I reply with a sniffle.

"Why are you crying?"

"I'd rather not talk about it." I say quietly.

"Where are you? I need to know what's wrong?"

"Bri, I said I don't want to talk about it." I protest.

"And I would listen if I didn't care. We don't even have to talk, I just want to be there for my best friend."

"Ok. I'm at the hospital." I whisper.

"Oh."

"Yeah."

"I'll be there."

"Ok." I say before hanging up. I really didn't want her to come here. She asks too many questions and I really don't want to go back to the memory of finding out myself.

-2 hours later-

"When did he get here?" Bri asks.

"I don't know." I say for the tenth time.

"Have you-"

"Miss?" The desk lady calls over to me.

"Stay here." I tell her before walking to the desk. "Yes?"

"He can have guests now."

"Can I get a floor and room number?"

"Floor 5, room 539." I run off to the stairs. The elevator would take too long and I need to see my brother now.

I finally reach his floor, out of breath. But I slow down my pace at the realization that the won't look the same as when I last saw him. He probably won't be conscious either. Hope for the best, be prepared for the worst.

I stand outside his door with my hand hovering over the door handle. I knock lightly on the door, waiting for someone to allow me to enter. Begging to hear Michael's voice. All I hear is the steady beeping of a monitor.

I take the handle in my hand and turn it, entering the room. Tears almost immediately run down my face. Michael lays in a hospital bed, strapped to at least five different machines. Including the one tracking his heart beat.

"Mikey." I whisper walking to his side. I take his cold hand in mine, the grip is gone. "No. This isn't happening." I deny. "It can't be." I let go of his hand and walk to the wall where I face it. "Michael is okay." I reassure myself.

I walk back to his side where I take a seat on the corner of his bed. My hand returns to his and I make sure not to let go.

"You're gonna be okay." I whisper rubbing circles on the back of his hand. "If you're not. Then I won't be either." I say more to myself. "You've been out of my sight for hours and this is what happens." Dry quiet laughter escapes my mouth as I run one of my hands over his dry blood stained hair. "Michael, I need to know. If you can hear me, I need you to squeeze my hand." I tell him, my eyes brimming with tears. "Please squeeze my hand." I whisper, one of my tears falling onto his hand.

-Michael POV-

I can't. I'm trying. I really am Mari, I'm trying to squeeze your hand but I just can't. I can't move. I can't see. I cant talk. All I can do is hear and feel. (A/N: Can someone please tell why JBH just came on)

"Please Michael. You have to squeeze my hand." She tells me again. I'm trying. It's not working. "I need to know you're there." She whispers.

Mari! I'm here! I'm not dead! My mind yells are no use because my vocal chords refuse to work.

"Mikey please. I can't lose you." You're not going to lose me. I'm not dead and I'm not going to claim that I am. I'm not giving up until I can grip her hand.

"If I lose you. I lose me too." Another one of her tears fall on my hand. "I really hope you can hear this. And it urges you to move. To squeeze my hand." She waits for a response but receives nothing.

I'm trying to get her to understand that I'm here. I'm alive. I can hear her. I am here. I just can't move.

"There's some things that make me wish that I had you in my life all these years." She starts. "You may be an overprotective dick at times but overall, you're the best big brother a girl could wish for. And all the times I tell you to stop protecting me, I'm thankful that you don't. I know you care. (A/N: Broken Home is on. Definitely not okay) I know you're still new at the whole brother thing, but you're doing an amazing job." She throws a few small laughs in.

I couldn't help but get the urge to cry. I feel something run down my cheek. Am I crying? Then I feel a fingertip against my cheek.

"You're there. You're crying." She says. "You're gonna be okay."

*****
-hello there folks
-so my playlist seems to want to make me really emotional
-for instance, The Only Reason is on right now
-well
-anyway
-here's Michael
-so there's a surprise coming up
-you seriously won't be ready for it
-anyway
-I better be on my way
-hope you enjoyed the chapter
-bye
*****
-Nicole