Chapter 29

"Are you serious?!" Anna asks as we stand in her living room.

"I wish I wasn't." I say quietly.

"Why do you have to move? Do you not like it here?"

"No, I love it here. My mum thinks that I'm not safe here. She wants me to move to New York with my sister." I mumble. She brings me into a hug.

"I don't want you to go." Her muffled voice says through the thin fabric of my shirt.

"I don't want to go either." I set my cheek on her head and we just stand like that for a while. When we finally pull away, I see that she's crying. I don't know what to say so I just kiss her lips softly.

"I don't want to lose that." She whispers against my lips.

"I'll be back in a year."

"A year is a long time." She looks up at me with watery eyes.

"It'll go by faster if you don't think about me." I tuck a few loose strands of hair behind her ear.

"But you're all I think about." Another tear runs down her cheek. I smile and wipe it away with my thumb before connecting our lips again.

"There hasn't been a moment when you weren't on my mind." I put my forehead against hers.

"Don't leave. I need you."

"I'm sorry, I have to go." I kiss her again, she makes it linger.

"Promise me we'll face time." She closes her eyes.

"I promise." I nod.

"Don't stop texting me, alright?" She says. It's like she was forcing herself to push out every word. Forcing herself to let me go.

"I won't." I bring her into a hug that lasts a while.

***

I hope we can survive the break. Long distance isn't that hard. Right?

My thoughts are interrupted by my mum entering my room.

"Hey sweetie. How's it going?" She asks sitting next to me on my bed before rubbing my back.

"It's going awful." I respond running a hand through my hair.

"I'm sorry you have leave all your friends but I can't just sit here knowing that there's a chance this could happen again. You'll be safer with Mali."

"Mum, I'm already safe. I used to live with this guy before I moved here."

"Luke? He did this?"

"Yes. He did."

"But why, I thought you two were best friends?" She looks at me with a concerned face.

"We were. But we went to a party and he got drunk and high and...well, I don't want to talk about. It just ended in a really bad fight." I look down then back up at her.

"He seems pretty dangerous if her can do this to his best friend. Another reason why you should leave." She points out.

"I get it mum, I'll go stay with Mali. But how do you even know she'll take me in?"

"I already talked to her about it, she said it's alright with her. Besides, she's your sister. She'll do anything for you." She smiles. I nod and she leaves.

***

I dry my hair after my late night shower and walk to my bed, sitting down on it. I pick up my phone after I hear a light buzz.

M: hey
C: Hi
M:...
C: can you take me to the airport tomorrow
M: idk.
C: why not?
M: I don't know if I can let you go knowing I won't hold you again for a whole year.
C: it isn't really a whole year, I'll be moving back about a month after my birthday. By then I'll have my own place.
M: be at my house an hour early. We'll walk.
C: I'll be there at 7. The flight leaves at 9
M: that's 2 hours
C: only the more time to spend with you
M: *blushing emoji*
C: lol. Goodnight, babe
M: night Cal

I put my phone back down. I stare at my plane ticket sitting on my dresser and sigh before getting under my white duvet and falling asleep.

*****
-hello there
-I know this one is a little short
-I felt this was a good place to stop
-are you guys ready for Mali Koa Hood?
-of course you're not.
-you better get ready then
-I'll see you guys later
-byee
*****
-Nicole