Chapter 51

EPILOGUE

One year later

VIVIAN’S POV

“Are you sure you want to do this? You still have two more months before you have to leave.”

I held back tears as I hugged Amber. We stood in the lobby by the gate where her plane was being boarded. She had graduated high school a week ago and was ready to leave for Maryland. I was surprised when she didn’t leave with Emery when he left a few days ago.

“Mommy I’ll come visit you on Fourth of July but I don’t want to wait another minute without being with Emery.”

I blow out a breath and reluctantly release her. I place a kiss on her cheek and she gasps in shock.

“You’re embarrassing me!” she shrieks and rubs her cheek.

I just chuckle and tell her to call me as soon as her plane lands. She agrees to and she looks over my shoulder at Mitch.

“Take care of my mom for me.” she tells him.

Mitch pats her on her shoulder. “Of course. Have a safe flight.”

She nods and gives me one last smile before grabbing her carry-on bag and heading for the gate. I watch her hand her ticket to the attendant and I don’t move from my spot until she is out of sight.

Mitch wraps his arms around me. “She’ll be fine. Come on, let’s get you home.”

I face him and I sniff back my tears. “It’s not a home anymore without my baby; just a house.”

He pulls me into him and hugs me tightly. “Hey, you raised a smart and wonderful daughter. You should be proud that she is heading toward a terrific future.”

I nod at his words. “You’re right. Take me home.”

I hand him my car keys and we leave the airport hand in hand. Once outside we walk to my car and I get into the passenger seat while Mitch gets behind the wheel.

He starts the car and makes the drive back to my house. During the drive he brings up the subject of us being together, again.

“My daughter hasn’t even been gone ten minutes. Can we talk about this later?” I sigh.

“Vivian, I just want to know where your head is. Are you serious about us or not? I’ve waited an entire year for you, which should tell you how serious I am.”

I shake my head. “Why is hard for you to accept that your nephew is going to be my son-in-law? How will we explain to my grandkids if they see me kissing their great uncle Mitch?”

Mitch jerks his head to me. “Viv, those two are not getting married! And if it’s going to happen God should strike me dead right now!”