Chapter 48

EMERY’S POV

Two weeks later…

The past two weeks for Amber and I went well. Spring Break was last week and it was also the time that we took our junior/senior class trips. We got to spend five days and six nights in Puerto Rico.

We had a blast those days and I got a pretty nice tan! Everyone was grateful to Shannon, Garrett and I as our parents chipped in to cover all the expenses.

When we returned home Amber reminded me every day (for five days) about my upcoming birthday. Turning eighteen was a milestone but I was more excited to ask Amber a special question.

I held Amber’s hand as we stood by baggage claim at the airport. My parents had called me a few minutes prior to inform me that their plane had landed. I spotted my mom as in the crowd and pulled Amber to her.

I released Amber’s hand so I could hug my mother when she was before me. She placed a kiss on my cheek and whispered how much she had missed me. When I released her I hugged my dad.

“How have things been?” my mom asked as she found her and my dad’s luggage.

“Good. How are you liking New York?” I ask as I release my father.

“It’d be better if you were there. That apartment is so lonely since your father is working fourteen hour days.” my mom states.

I chuckle and take her luggage from her. “Well maybe I’ll come spend a week with you before I leave for college.”

She nods. “That would be nice. I’m so proud of you getting that scholarship to Georgetown. I guess your father and I will hold your college fund for you until you graduate. You’ll have a nice little nest egg to start your future.”

I wrap an arm around my mom as we walk to the exit with my dad and Amber following behind.

“Actually mom, would you and dad agree if I wanted to donate my college fund to a few kids I know who can’t afford college and don’t have any scholarships?”

My mom looks up at me with a smile. “That’s very noble of you Emery but are you sure? I mean you could use that money to buy a house or maybe even pay for a wedding…”

She gives me a larger smile and nods her head in Amber’s direction. I let out a chuckle.

“Well I’m glad you’re a believer that we’ll last.”

“Oh her mom doesn’t think you two will make it?”

I shake my head no.

My mom frowns. “Sweetheart if Amber’s mom is skeptical just prove her wrong. You two make such a damn cute couple so I’m rooting for you.”