Chapter 33

EMERY’S POV

After school Friday I headed into the locker room to change for soccer practice. I changed into the uniform of white tee, red shorts and cleats. As soon as I’m done I send a text to Amber to please call me when I get out of practice at six.

I place my phone in my locker and head onto the field. We had only one week until our first game and I was ecstatic that I was starting.

I get into formation with my teammates and practice begins. Throughout the first hour my head is on Amber and I miss a few shots. I screw up a play and Coach yells at me.

“Nottingham! What the hell are you doing? Springer is wide open! Come here!”

I groan loudly and head over to coach with my head down. He grabs my shoulder and lifts my head so I am looking at him.

“You’ve been playing so well. What has gotten into your head today? You think you stand a chance against Munson next Saturday? Because I don’t think so.”

I sigh. “I’m sorry coach. I’ll get my head in the game.”

“You’d better. I’ve got guys who have been with me for years that I overlooked to put you in because of your skills. Prove to me that I didn’t make a mistake.”

I nod and run back to my teammates. I push Amber to the back of my mind for now and perform up to par for the last hour. Coach shoots me an approving smile and dismisses us.

I rush to the locker room and take a quick shower. After I pull on my clothes I check my phone and see a text message from Amber. I open and frown as I read a message from her mother stating that Amber has lost her phone privileges because of the fight. I sigh and slam my locker.

Toby approaches me and sits down on a bench next to me. “Hey man. You played good the second half but what was going on when we started?”

“I don’t want to talk about it.” I mumble.

“Hey, I’m your captain and I need to know what’s going on with my team. Talk to me.”

I sigh and sit down next to him. “This whole Amber situation is getting to me.”

“Ohhhh.” Toby sings. “What happened between you two?”

I sigh again. “I used to date Noelle a few years back. She sent me a naked pic and Amber saw it.”

Toby raises an eyebrow. “She broke up with you over that? I mean it’d be different if she caught you two having sex. I’ve know Amber for a while; do you want me to talk to her?”

I shake my head. “No, we’ll get over this hump. I’ll see you Monday.”

We stand at the same time and clap hands. I leave the locker room and get into my car and head to Shannon’s house. I don’t see her dad’s car when I pull up to the winding driveway.

I go inside and head upstairs to my room. I pass by Shannon’s door and I hear her moaning loud and the bed squeaking. Great, she and Garrett were getting it on. I didn’t want to be listening to that right now.

I go into my room and since my room is right next to hers I can hear the moaning and squeaking through the wall. I place on my headphone and turn on some music, placing the volume on full blast to mask Shannon and Garrett’s session.

Soon I am blocking out the music and my thoughts drift back to Amber once again. I can’t help but think of her because I love her. I know that Noelle’s lies will not keep us apart for much longer.

I end up falling asleep and wake up hours later. I go downstairs and notice that Shannon’s parents still aren’t home so I figured they went somewhere for the weekend. My stomach began growling so I decided to go out and get something to eat. I had a taste for pizza.