Chapter 40

AMBER’S POV

I woke the next morning anxious for the day. Emery said he had a gift for me and I dying to know what it was. I got out of bed and head into the kitchen. I open the fridge and grab a bottled water and an apple. I bite into it as my mom appears.

“I’ll have breakfast ready in a minute.” she tells me while opening the fridge and grabbing some eggs, breakfast ham and hash browns.

I watch her begin to cook and finish off my apple. “Oh Emery tells me that a scout from University of Maryland will be at the game tomorrow. How great would it be if he got recruited; then we wouldn’t have to have a long distance relationship.”

“You think you’re going to be with Emery after high school?” my mom questions as she starts making sunny side up eggs.

“Mom, you and daddy were high school sweethearts! You two had me and stayed together until….” I trail off as I think about my dad’s death.

“Well, that’s a different case. That was almost twenty years ago; times are different now. I just don’t want you to think that this thing with Emery will last forever and be heart broken when it doesn’t.”

I gasp. “Why are you being pessimistic right now? I’m not saying Emery and I will be together forever but we’re together now and if he gets recruited by Maryland then we will be together during college.”

“Okay what will happen when he goes off to college? You will be here for another school year. And what if he doesn’t get recruited by Maryland? You have to think about that.” my mom states.

I place my hand over my ears. “La la la. I’m not listening.”

“I’m just giving the reality of the situation.” she states.

I remove my hand and finish off my apple. I toss the core in the trash and make a move to leave the kitchen.

“You don’t want breakfast?” she calls to me as I leave.

“I’ll pick up something on the way to school.” I tell her and head to my room.

I find my phone and call Emery. He picks up after the first ring.

“Hey baby.” he whispers.

“Why are you whispering?” I laugh at him.

“Because I’m sitting at the breakfast table.”

“Oh. Well, can you come pick me up early?” I ask him.

“Ummm, okay. Give me twenty minutes to get dressed and I’ll head that way.”

We hang up and I quickly start my morning routine. I dress in a purple wrap dress with matching heels. Emery calls me to let me know that he’s outside.