Chapter 49

AMBER’S POV

I was trembling as Emery pulled up to my house. I wringed my fingers together while he parked and killed the engine. I feel his hands on mine and look into his face.

“Nervous?” he asked with a small smile.

I nod my head furiously. He leans into me and kisses my lips and I suddenly feel a bit better. When he pulls back he asks if I’m ready to go inside. After taking a deep breath I pull away from my fiancé (so weird saying that but in a good way) and place my hand on the door to open it.

Emery unlocks the door and we exit in unison. We walk up to the front door, hand in hand, and I push the door open. I am not surprised to see my mom sitting on the couch.

She looks up at us both. I watch her eyes dip to my left hand which is encased in Emery’s. I know she can see my engagement ring and I know she is not happy because I can see her taking deep breaths.

Her eyes travel back up to my face. I wonder if she’s going to say anything. She stands and paces a small spot before the couch.

“Amber…” she sighs and looks to me. “I am not going to stand here and tell you that I’m happy about this.” She then looks to Emery. “You should’ve come to me first and talked to me.”

Emery releases my hand and steps forward. “I understand that and I apologize for not acting in the traditional manner when it comes to proposing. And I know you’re not on our side that our love will last but the only thing I can say is that I plan to prove you wrong. I love your daughter and I will always be here for her and take care of her.”

His words bring tears to my eyes but I am willing myself not to cry. I can tell my mom is unmoved by his words though.

“You both are just so damn young!” she shouts in frustration.

“You married daddy at eighteen.” I cut in causing my mom and Emery to turn my attention to me.

She frowns at me. “Don’t you dare try and use that against me. We had you and it was different back then.”

“But the reason I’m marrying Emery is the same reason you married daddy…love. That doesn’t change no matter what decade it is. Besides, right now we’re just engaged; we’ve decided to wait two years before actually getting married.”

My mom sighs and then runs her hands over her face. “I just wish you hadn’t done this behind my back.”

I want to laugh. “I was just as shocked as you are now! I was not expecting this but I’m happy. Can you be happy for me?”

She takes a minute, as if to think about my question. She then shakes her head no. “I would be happier if this was five or ten years down the road but right now, no I will not be happy for you. I can’t stop you from making this decision so all I can say is I hope you know what you’re doing.”