Chapter 14

AMBER’S POV

The next morning I woke to Emery calling me. I rolled over in bed and answered his call.

“Morning.” I grogged.

“Morning baby. How’d you sleep?”

“Good. Listen, since you have soccer practice I’ll ride home with Shannon and Garrett and when you get home we can spend a few hours together. How does that sound?” I tell him.

“That’s fine. I’m about to go jump in the shower. I’ll be by to pick you up at the usual time.”

I tell him I’ll be ready and we hang up. I get out of bed and go to shower. I dress for the day in a simple purple dress, corduroy sweater and flats. I go eat breakfast and my mom reminds me about my grandparents coming to town in a few days.

She tells me she wants me to spend as much time with as I can since it’s been almost four years since I last seen them. I agree and she kisses me good-bye as she heads to work.

I clean the kitchen and rush outside when I hear Emery blowing the car horn. I walk up to him at the passenger side and give him a kiss before getting inside. He closes the door and gets in behind the wheel.

When we arrive at school Shannon and Garrett are already there and Shannon grabs my arm when I get out of Emery’s car.

“Girl, have you heard the news?” she asks in an excited tone.

I shake my head, oblivious to what she is talking about.

“Felix was released from jail. Leslie was caught on tape lying about the assault and that she forced Gina to lie as well. They both were arrested last night!”

Oh, that. I knew about that but the detectives told me they wouldn’t release my name as the one who provided the recording.

“That’s not all.” Shannon continued. “Word is Mallori moved to New York and Felix went with her! Looks like two of your problems are now on the East coast!”

I knew that too but I acted shocked when Shannon told me the news. Emery threw his arm around me and we walked into school with Shannon and Garrett following us.

When we walk in, an announcement comes over the PA system telling all juniors and seniors to meet in the auditorium before first period. I wonder what this is about. Shannon, Garrett, Emery and I head to the auditorium with the crowd of our peers.

We find four seats together and sit down as the class presidents of both classes appear on the stage. The senior class president approaches the podium and speaks first. He clears his throat to get everyone’s attention and the room falls silent.

“Fellow classmates, it is with deep regret that I inform you that funding for our class trip and prom has been pulled which means we may have to cancel them…”