Chapter 24

VIVAN’S POV

I entered the bar exactly ten minutes after I ended the call with Mitch. I didn’t see him as I made my way to the counter. I sat down and the bartender asked me what I wanted to drink.

“Oh, I’m not ready to order just yet.” I tell him.

He nods and goes to the end of the counter to attend to another customer. I place my small purse on the counter and blow out a breath. I feel fingers on my shoulder and turn to face Mitch. I give him a smile as he takes the seat next to me.

“Thanks for joining me.” he smiles at me and waves over the bartender.

I wave off his comment. “Thanks for inviting me. I need something to unwind after the day I’ve had.”

The bartender approaches us and Mitch orders cognac while I ask for a Bacardi mojito. The bartender quickly makes our drinks and sits them in front of us.

“So, what do you do for a living?” he asks me after taking a sip of his drink.

“I work for the news station as a production assistant.”

He nods. “Very impressive.”

“How long have you been working security for cruise ships?” I ask while twirling my straw in my drink.

“About five years. I started out as a bouncer for night clubs but I decided to go to cruise ships to avoid the organized crime that went on behind closed doors.”

We each drink our drinks and there is a lull in the conversation.

“Do you have any children?” I ask him just to have something to say.

He shakes his head no. “I’ve had a few scares but no kids. Is your daughter you’re only child?”

I nod. “Yep and she means so much to me which is why I was so upset when I came into your office.”

“Your fiancée is really sick to do what he did to a child. I mean, how old is your daughter?”

“Seventeen.”

Mitch’s eyes widen. “Whoa, you have a seventeen year old! Wow, I mean you look so young. How old are you if you don’t mind me asking.”

“I’m thirty-five. And yourself?”

“I’m thirty-five as well.”

We clink our glasses in cheers to being the same age. For another hour or so we just talk about random things and order a refill on our drinks. We are laughing so hard at some stupid joke when we’re ordering a third round.

“Has anyone ever told you that you look like that guy that played Wolverine?” I slur at Mitch and reach over and run my finger along his forearm.

He chuckles. “Well, people say he’s pretty hot so I should take that as a compliment.”

“Yes, you should.” I state and attempt to move closer to him but I clumsily fall out of my seat.

Mitch luckily catches me before I hit the ground. The bartender rushes over and asks if I’m okay. Mitch tells him that he’s got me.

“I think it’s time to take you back to your room.” I hear Mitch tells me.

I nod and then I feel so sleepy. The last thing I remember is falling asleep as Mitch carries me out of the bar.

EMERY’S POV

“What the fuck are you doing here?”

I was dreaming right? I had to be dreaming. Standing in front of me was my uncle! He was my dad’s younger brother and I hadn’t seen him in five years after he stole thousands from my dad and ran off to God knows where.