Chapter 43

AMBER’S POV

MONDAY

I didn’t want to rush the weekend since I really needed to cherish the time that I had left with Emery, but I wanted to know if Maryland wanted to recruit him. I was praying all last night that we would get some good news today.

I jumped out of bed and made my way downstairs to join my mother for breakfast. I wasn’t surprised to see Mitch sitting at the dining table and my mother serving him. They had gone on a date Saturday night and he had spent the weekend with my mom.

“Good morning kiddo.” Mitch smiled at me while he picked up his fork to begin eating.

I said good morning to him and accepted a plate of food from my mom. I wanted to ask them what the status of the relationship but I knew that would make my mom pissed as I was getting into ‘grown folks’ business. I keep my mouth shut as I sit down to eat.

My mom joined us and gave me a sad look. What was wrong with her?

“Baby, Axel’s trial is going to start today.” she starts. The sound of his name makes me cringe. “They won’t be calling witnesses for a few days but I’m pretty sure you’re going to be called to testify.”

I can feel my mouth fall open. I couldn’t believe this! Why couldn’t Axel just own up to his shit and plead guilty? I didn’t want to have to see him again. I feel my mom’s hand on mine and I stare into her face. She gives me another sad smile.

“I’m going to the courthouse for the opening statements and Mitch is going with me. Do you think you can stay at Shannon’s house tonight? I don’t want you to be alone after school.”

I blow out a breath and nod. I hoped this bad news would not ruin or dampen the day for me.

I quickly eat, get up from the table and head to my room to get dressed for school. I decide on something simple: a t-shirt and a pair of jeans. I take a shower, get dressed and place sneakers on my feet.

Emery calls me ten minutes later to let me know he’s on the way. I grab my purse and decide to wait on him outside. He pulls up to the curb and I rush up to the passenger side before he could get out to open my door for me.

I get into the passenger seat and place on my seat belt. I can feel Emery staring at my profile. I peek over at him and I see he is worried.

“What’s wrong baby?”

I don’t want to tell him the news my mother gave me and I definitely didn’t want to be in a bad mood for the rest of the day. I turn to face him and give him a small smile.

“I’m just anxious about what your coach will tell you today.”

He nods. “We’ll be okay no matter what he tells me.”

I watch him lean into me and capture my lips in a kiss. I expect for him to pull back but he cups my face in his hands and deepens our embrace. I open my mouth to allow him to delve his tongue inside and I can taste the mint of his toothpaste. We tongue wrestle for a moment before I slightly pull away to tell him we’ll be late for school.

He continues pecking my lips while I speak, causing me to break into fits of giggles. I place my hands on his shoulders and pull my head back, holding him away from me as he attempts to push his head back to mine.

“Babe, we need to go.” I smile at him.

He sighs in defeat and sits back in his seat. I softly laugh as he pulls away from the curb and drives us to school.

He pulls into the parking lot twenty minutes later and parks next to Garrett’s car. I can see Shannon and Garrett making out in the front seat. Emery blows his horn and that causes Shannon to jump and pull away from her man. She turns to her right and I smile while waving at her.