She rushes to the hall that leads to the bedrooms before I can say anything else. Emery moves to me and envelopes me in a hug as I sniff back tears.

“I’m sorry baby.” he whispers to me.

“It’s okay.” I wrap my arms around him. “This is my life and she’ll see she was wrong in not believing in us.”

We stay in our hug for a minute longer. Emery pulls away from me and places a kiss on my lips.

“Do you want to come back to my place with me?” he asks.

I frown. “No, I’ll stay here but I’ll see you tomorrow.”

He reluctantly accepts my answer and gives me another kiss before heading to the door. He opens it and I walk with him and pull him back to me for a kiss before he leaves. He whispers that he loves me and I do the same. Once he is out of the house I close the door and lock it.

I then go into the back and head for my mom’s room. Her bedroom door is closed so I lowly knock on it.

“Mom, can I come in?” I ask after she doesn’t answer the knock.

I place my hand on the doorknob and when I turn it, the door is pulled open. My mom is standing before me and her eyes are red from crying. I hated seeing my mom cry.

“Mommy don’t cry.” I sniff and throw my body into hers.

I hug her waist and she quickly hugs me to her.

“Time will tell what happens but I just want you to be happy.” she whispers to me.

“I will be, don’t worry.”

“I’m your mother; that’s my job.”

We share a laugh and she gently pulls away from me. She cups my face in both her hands. After staring in my eyes for a minute she leans forward and quickly places a kiss on the tip of my nose.

“Go on to bed and I’ll see you in the morning.” she tells me.

When she releases me I turn and head for my bedroom. Before I can get my dress off to get into bed my phone rings. I am not surprised to see Shannon’s name on the screen.

“Girl, why didn’t you call me and tell me that you’re ENGAGED!!” she screams in my ear.

I pull my phone away from my ear while laughing. “I had to break the news to my mom first.” I tell her.

“How’d she take it?”

“Not too well but I think she’ll come around.”

“OMG, I still can’t believe this. I mean you and Emery make a cute couple but marriage? Who gets engaged before they even graduate high school?” Suddenly Shannon gasps loudly. “OMG are you PREGNANT?!”