24 - Love and Loss

😢

Harpers POV

December 20th

We've been back from out honeymoon for 8 weeks and I'm 20 weeks pregnant. Turns out little mr. or mrs. was in fact conceived before the honeymoon and the wedding. 11:26 the clock read, I look at my watch 11:26, I look at the microwave clock 11:26. Geez, I wanted 12:30 to come so bad. It was my 3rd appointment and so far everything has been amazing, I feel my belly growing though it may just be the fact that I have the worst pregnancy cravings, Chris has been awesome and fetching everything my little heart wants. Pickles and a chocolate shake, check. Sour gummy worms, pudding, and cream cheese, check. Sour cream and bbq potato chips with a side of strawberry syrup, check. All my disgusting foods he's brought me, geez I love him. I look out the window, I see the horizon. The baby will be lucky to have this room, yes we've started and completed the nursery. We went with a neutral theme of "Beachside" so calming blues and yellows with seagulls and sea-shells. I live and can't wait for rock in this chair with a baby, my baby. 11:57, the cloak reads. I decide to head on out, I pick up Sylvianna, strap her in her car seat, and off we go. Chris can't make this one because of some giant meeting merger thingy, but that's okay there will be more ultrasounds and 18+ years of joy.

-- At the doctors --

"Mrs. Lan-Goldman," my name is called so I get up leaving Sylvianna in the play room "Sorry, first day back and I didn't realize you got married! Congrats," the doctor is Kristina who also happens to be married to one of Chris' IT guys.

"Yeah, Chris and I tied the knot a few weeks ago."

"That's great!! How's Sylvianna?" She points at the scale, signaling me to step up

"She couldn't be more perfect," I say smiling,glancing at the number. I sigh, I have gained way more weight with baby #2 than I did with any other pregnancy. Oh well, as long as I get a health baby my weight doesn't matter

"Hope on up and slide off your pants." She hands me this paper sheet thing to cover up with and leaves the room

I do as instructed and wait for her to come back in

"Let's see how semi-mini-you is doing today!!" With much enthusiasm she squirts the freezing cold blue gel stuff on my stomach and begins to move the little wand thingy around to get a view of my baby. "I will be right back...." Her voice trails off and she quickly exits the room. I pat my stomach, what's wrong?

"Something has to be wrong right? Is that why your hear?" To the new doctor walking in Kristina following closely behind.

"Not necessarily, K, just wanted a second opinion on your beautiful baby."

"Oh, okay." I pause while they stare and point at the screen

"Mrs Goldman, I regret to inform you of this but your baby has Type 2. I got your last time labs back and due to this ultrasound it's confirmed. I'm sorry, but we are looking at low birth weight, inter-womb fracturing, and a short life span in general. Do you want your husband here to discuss options with?"

"Wait, go back, what how? She/he was fine last time."

"I'm sorry, but it's now been discovered."

"The bones breaking, the baby can't feel it? Can she?" I get a blank stare and Kristina and Dr. Jayne exchange looks. "My baby is being hurt in its safe home? This is my fault, but how?"

"I'm sorry, but I suggest when you get home you discuss this with your husband, pick a date within the next two weeks and call me. We will do this as natural as possible. Any questions?"