39. Healing Broken Hearts

A/N I am so sorry that it has taken me this long to upload. I just recently finished my first semester at college and it has been a total whirlwind and now that I know my timing I should be able to (hopefully) put out updates more recently!
As always,
Thanks for reading!
-----

*Harper's POV*

I give myself one last look in the mirror,
"this isn't a date. I said it wasn't a date."
I mumble to myself.

I'm not sure why I agreed to see Jason, I guess it was a spur of the moment decision.
"Being spontaneous. Doing something random." I ramble looking at myself in the mirror in the mirror, this isn't me I think. This is a hollowed out shell of who I used to be. I used to be full of life, joy, happy. Now, I don't even have custody of my children, I get to see them every other weekend, I live in a 1/2 furnished apartment since I sold a lot off the furniture from the old house, and my only companion it seems like is my new puppy Izzy.

"Bye bye Izzy. Momma will see you later."

I walk out of my apartment and head down to the parking garage. I get in my car and begin to drive to the coffee shop. I park and notice a familiar car, Chris's, well used to be mine, custom rose-gold Lamborghini. I freeze and then shake it off as I'm on a busy road he could be in any shop or office. I walk and the freeze, seeing him in the OBGYN right next to the coffee shop I'm about to enter. His hands on some girls stomach and he's smiling and laughing, I blink back tears and walk into the coffee shop with my head held high.

"Jason, good to see you."

"Same for you, Harper." He says smiling "I ordered you a caramel iced coffee, I hope that it's okay and you like them."

"It's perfect thank you."

We sit and chat, discussing life and careers and family. On the subject of family I start thinking of the scene I just saw. Tears well up in my eyes

"Excuse me a minute." I say darting to the bathroom where I burst into tears the second I'm locked in a stall. I hear a knock at the door and then Jason's voice

"Harper, come out. I'm sorry, I didn't realize this would be to soon. If you want me to leave and I never see you again I understand"

My heart pauses and I mutter some words I can't remember but the next thing I know is we're both sitting on the floor with him cradling me in his arms.

CHRIS POV

Kirsten and I are sitting in the lobby of the ONGYN hoping that I can get paternity results ASAP to prove I am not the father.

"Kirsten Zella" (a/n, I can't remember if I gave her a last name or not) A voice calls and we get up and head back to the ultrasound room, the halls look the same as every other OBGYN office I've ever stepped foot in. My mind races and I can't help but think about Harper. What she would think if she saw this.

We go back and the nurse does the whole routine check up things and then takes us into the private room while we wait for the doctor.

"Hello, Mr. Goldman and Ms. Zella. I'm doctor Jenni Drew, and if I'm correct you are about 7 weeks along today and seeking paternity test results."

"That is correct" Kirsten answers "We can get it done right now? Right?"

"Sadly, no. The type of test you are looking into is the Non-Invasive Prenatal Paternity (NIPP) test. It can be done any time after the 8th week of pregnancy."

"The lady who scheduled me said it could be done today."

"I'm sorry, but I can schedule you for your 12 week check-up and do it then. Would that be okay?"

"No, it would not be okay. I need these results now."

I sit in silence tuning out most of their exchange.

"Excuse me." I speak up "12 weeks will be fine, but in the meantime what exactly will be done for this NPPI? NIPI? NPIP? NIPP?"

"Shut up Chris. What happens isn't important, what's important is proving you are the father."

"Mr. Goldman, I'm glad you asked. It is important to know the procedure that will take place NIPP  requires only a simple blood collection from the mother and the, potential, father. So, a simple blood collection from each of you is all that is needed."

"And the accuracy of this test is what exactly?"

"The test shows results to be 99.9% accurate. Any other questions?"

"No." Kirsten snaps "I'd just like to get out of here and see you at 12 weeks. 5 weeks can't go fast enough." She says stomping out of the room

"I'm sorry for her behavior" I apologize

"It's okay, I've seen your case many, many times before."

"Still, she's not exactly the most pleasant person pregnant or not."

"Here's the appointment card and I included my personal number incase you need anything. Even if it's not baby related." She winks

I smile politely and leave the room, walking out of the office I turn and walk into the coffee shop only to see Harper sitting there with the lawyer, intern, whoever-the-heck-he-is guy. I turn storm out.

I lost the woman I love,
I lost everything in my life,
And while I've been losing everything............
I've lost myself.