37 - Battle pt. 2

** Chris POV **

The next day I walk into the courthouse feeling guilty, today the judge will rule in the favor of one of us to have full custody and then manage visitation privileges. Our kids are being watched by some social services worker and we had to say our goodbyes to them before the court case. When the trial is over the one who loses wont see our kids till whoever wins determines visitation. On paper, I look better, I have a better home, I can afford nice schools, I have unlimited work time off, I have the financial resources to raise four kids. On the other hand, she's the mom and the court will usually favor mothers, sad but true.

I'm waiting in the courtroom with my lawyer and she walks in looking like death with her two lawyers, Cynthia and Jason, trailing behind her.

"All rise for Judge Harris." Someone speaks and then the case begins. The room empty, my mom and sisters wait, Arizona sitting on the side that's behind Harper, she's the only one on that side. My mom, Rachel and her husband and her newborn sit on my side along with several people from my work that I called in Incase I needed defendants.

"Mr. Goldman, if you would rise to the sands please." Harpers lawyer, Cynthia states.

I do what she says and the questions begin

"Why do you see yourself as a more fit parent than Harper?"

"First, I am in the process of purchasing a better home that can hold the four kids each having their own room meaning they will have calm environments to study, which leads to my next point of, I can afford nice schools of my children are placed in my care I will enroll them in Xavier DuPont Charter & Technical School to allow them to reach their highest educational possibilities." I glance at my lawyer who gives me an assuring thumbs up and I continue. "I have unlimited work time off, if a child falls ill I will not have to worry about losing hours and I can be with them, my mother and sister, Rachel, have offered unlimited support so if I need anything I have people to rely on Incase I get whisked away on a business trip and lastly I have the financial resources to raise four kids. As a successful business owner I have the lifestyle perfect for raising kids, I can afford the clubs they want, the class trips, the new school uniforms, everything a growing child needs I can provide."

"Mr Goldman, you said finances and time off and a support system aren't a problem for you and used it as advantages. Tell me why you think Harper doesn't have the resources you do."

"Because, she's a doctor. Her parents and sister are dead and she's on call four nights a week. What happens if she gets called in? What if she's alone and nobody can watch the kids? She's under oath to help the patient but what about watching her own kids? Those four nights I was the one warming bottles for Owen, holding Lisbeth when she had a bad dream, tucking Sylvianna into bed, and spraying monster-b-gone spray into Abernathy's closet. Me, I'm the one doing it not her."

"Thank you Mr Goldman, Judge Harris that's all from me and Ms. Lanning."

I take a seat and Harper gets called to the stand from my lawyer.

"Ms. Lanning, in the foreseeable future you are looking at a big career move that will take lots of time. What are your children going to do when you are not around as care taker."

"Well, the hospital has a daycare that Owen can be dropped off at during my shifts and as for my girls my friend Arizona has agreed to move in with me and become their nanny. Now, I bet you are wondering why I'm going to hire a nanny, it's not because I'm to busy or because I don't care, it's because I've accepted the fact that four kids are a tremendous amount of work to juggle and I have piano lessons and dance lessons and swim meets and soccer and track and ballet and all these things they do where I can't be two places at once. So, to answer your question and rebut at Chris' statement, I have help."

"Ms. Lanning, financial wise you don't make nearly as much as Chris does in his day to day work. How can we ensure the children will be able to have the basic necessities and that you can continue to provide for them."

"Objection" Cynthia shouts

"Overruled" the judge says

"When my prenatal died there was a settlement in my name and my sisters granting each of us $250,000 in compensation as well as us diving up insurance. I have a bank account total of $472,339.54 and that's growing as I continue down my career and become even more specialized."

"That's all." My lawyer returns to his seat

The judge calls up two defendants from each of us and listens to their cases.

For me it's Rachel & Frank (my assistant)
For her it's Arizona and the case worker from Lisbeth's and Abernathy's adoption

"Normally at this point we would call up at least 2 more defendants from each  but I've heard enough to make my decision after a few minutes of recollection. We will take a 15 minute recess before regrouping and the answer will be stated."

Harper gets up nearly in tears. Arizona, Cynthia, and Jason follow her out. I excuse myself from my seat and follow them out. I turn a corner and see Harper leaning against the wall in tears, Jason on the ground comforting her. Cynthia and Arizona talking a few feet away. I slip back aprons the corner and eavesdrop on their words.

"I can't do it, it my babies are taken from me what will I do? They are my everything my whole world revolves around them. Chris wants to use his money and power not love and affection." Harper wails

"Don't worry, you had a strong argument. All the documents support you, and yesterday seemed to favor you. Everything will be okay, I promise." Jason says

"Arizona, I'm worried. This can't go in the way of your brother." Cynthia states

"I know it can't, he's an evil lying cheating word-I'm-not-going-to-say. Luckily I think the documents will help and think of their first divorce, that doesn't look good on him. He's got nothing going for him other than wealth. Sometimes I wish I wasn't part of this family." Arizona speaks

I feel a pang of guilt wash over me once again. I don't want to do this, I can't do this, but at this point it is not up to me, it's all up to the judge. I look at my watch and see that we have 2 minutes left to return to the room so I go back and take my seat, Harper and her crew following behind

"All rise for Judge Harris."

"From the prior evidence and cases made today by both parties as well as the defendants custody will be granted to the party of........."

The Ex-Wife of Chris Goldmanजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें