31 - Emptiness

**CHRIS POV**
Once situated on the couch I let a tear slip out, I can't believe it. I don't think that something years and years ago would be this bad and hurt her this deeply. But, it is and I have to make every day right with her. I know when I left the room I said something about trust but she did nothing wrong and shouldn't have to live with this burden. I should and I'm going to fix this, make sure she knows that I'm here and not leaving for anything ever. I'm in it for the long run, period.

I remember that night, it was 3 days before my fathers birthday. I glance at my watch, she'll be home from work any second and I can give her my surprise.

The door opens and she walks in setting her keys and purse on the coffee table.

"Hey," I say "How was work"

"You know, it was work. Same as any day."

"I got you something" I say taking her hand "Let me show you."

I walk her to the bedroom to show her what I put on the bed. I smile knowing that she'll adore my gifts from this time just like the past.

**Harpers POV**

He takes my hand and guides me to the bedroom, and when we get there what I see on the bed actually makes me sad.

"Thanks." I mutter

"Do you like it?" He asks hopeful, gesturing towards the lavish jewelry he's purchased.

"Yeah, I like it. Thank you Chris."

"I'm glad you like it." He says "Now, I'll go grab the kids and we'll go have dinner at your favorite restaurant."

"Okay."

He leaves the house to go get he kids from his moms and I pick up the jewels and hold them in front of me in a mirror, he bought me more expensive things to try and show me his love, more things that I don't need or already have. This time it's 2 pairs of diamond earrings and a necklace with each of the kids birthstones engraved with their initials.

I do love that he buys me things but I don't like it that he uses it as his method of showing his love, when he wants to do something for me I don't want lavish things like jewelry or dinner or floral arrangements. I want movie nights on the couch, I want him to cook me dinner, I want him to do simple things.

I look at my reflection as I put the necklace on, I feel empty, I used to love being spoiled and living this life because this is what every girl dreams of. I lay on the bed and catch a glimmer of something sparkles sticking out of my closet k walk over and open it, a new dress and heels. I smile but then I see price tags $350 for the dress and $130 for the heels, neither in my size.

A tear slips out, I don't want to sound greedy or like "little-miss-perfect-didn't-get-the-right-pony" but Chris doesn't get me. I don't want to live in an extravagant house, I don't want the outfit I wear to cost more than my car, I don't what this big fancy life, it was great at first but now it feels like he's trying to buy my love when he doesn't need to.

I don't want this life anymore, I don't want to have everything I could dream of. It makes life pointless, because what is there to work for? If my husband can drop thousands of dollars on the spot for a weekend vacation, why do I need to have a vacation fund? Having everything doesn't make you happy or at least not for me. I'll tell this again but he won't listen and the next time he needs to show me how much he cares or is in this for the long run I'll find more jewels or dresses and feel a little more like I'm in a loveless relationship but then I'll get a moment like having ice cream and he smears it on my nose that makes me remember the love we have and why we are the way we are.

The day of Chris's dad's birthday party he packed for a weekend away from the kids. He booked a lavish room and a couples massage and had a floral arrangement delivered and the best champagne was waiting for us by the bed. It was lovely, but he didn't seem to realize that money can't buy happiness or make up for things he's done. That weekend I tried to talk to him, tell him how I felt but he wouldn't listen he just kept showering me with gifts. I wanted to be happy so bad because I loved him so much, but he won't listen and consider my feelings.

This relationship takes work, no doubt about that, any relationship does. I want to be here, I'm just not sure if he does.

-----
A/N
I hope you all are enjoying the story so far, this chapter was more of a filler because Harpers true feelings needed to be shown. Anyways, thanks so much for reading and stay tuned for what unfolds after this!